Author Topic: Free Drugs or the economics of the drug industry.  (Read 94663 times)

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Free Drugs or the economics of the drug industry.
« on: October 24, 2006, 06:49:20 AM »
Follow me if you can.  A few weeks ago, Wal-Mart announced that they would be selling certain generic drugs for $4.00 in the State of Florida on a sort of test program.  Believe it or not, people liked it and so they expanded it to 14 states, with the rest of us waiting for our turn.  Meijers, a chain competitor in the mid-west, announced this week that they would do one better.  They are now offering for free popular anti-biotics normally prescribed for children.  That's right...free.  It was suggested by an industry spokesman that the reason Meijer was able to give the drug away free was that generic drugs cost the  retailer very little so there wasn't much cost there to write off.  Did you get that?  So little cost that Meijer Stores can simply give it away.

Now we come to my question.  I was recently diagnosed diabetic.  I have two prescriptions that cost me a total of $64.00.  Fortunately they are generic.  If they weren't, according to Wal-Mart, it would have cost me close to $200.00.  So we go from $200.00 to $64.00 to $4.00 to free in a matter of a paragraph, remembering that the "industry spokesman" said that there was such little cost in generic drugs that it wouldn't cost the retailer much to give them away. 

And there are people that wonder why we are looking for a National Drug Plan.  The same people, I may add, that are surprised that some of us think that the group in Washington should not only be changed but  that they represent everything evil in this world and in a more sane society, they would surely be arrested for being criminals.

I will keep paying whatever the Retail/Pharmaceuticals dictate that I pay for my "life-sustaining" drugs, but I will not be quiet about it.

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: Free Drugs or the economics of the drug industry.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »
Here's an addendum to the drug question.  Wal-mart announced today that they have added more states into their drug program and included Michigan, the state I reside in.  I checked the list of pharmaceuticals that is covered by the program and both of the drugs I take for diabetes and high blood pressure are covered. 

So here is reality.  What cost me over $64 dollars two weeks ago, now will cost me $8.00.  Do I thank Wal-Mart as a great benafactor or curse them as a profit monger.  And what about all the other pharmacies that charge even more than Wal-Mart does.  I am a businessman and I don't get it. 

Still confused,

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

sir-individual