Author Topic: Work Sucks!  (Read 16530 times)

Offline User Name

• MisFiT for Life!!!
  • truly "misfit"
    • www.skool.us
Work Sucks!
« on: April 15, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
Working "full time" you spend basically 5/7ths of your life doing things that you would normally not be doing.  (you can count school too if you must)

Or... at least thats how it is when you work in an office  :P

/did someone take my stapler?

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: Work Sucks!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:15:37 AM »
It can suck.  I have done things I just didn't like doing and so I quit doing them.  Earning money should be interesting and even fun.  It should surely be challenging.  If it isn't any of these, then start looking.  Don't look in the same field as you are in, because all you will be doing is changing the name on your check.  This is one time you need to "think out of the box." 

Sassafras and I make a living selling our own line of sunglasses and goggles in motorcycle shows.  This is really out of the box, but you can start looking for alternative ways of making a living today.  Marketing a product out of your home, in a flea market, at a special event or on the internet, is a good way to start.  I once read about a couple that were writers.  They found little time for their passion and finally came up with a plan.  They bought a "handy-man" special and spent a year fixing it up and sold it for a profit.  They did this 5 times over 4 years in their spare time, each time increasing the value of the home they bought, and finally sold the last one for a large enough profit, they were able to move to an island in the Caribbean  for five years where they were able to develop their writing careers.

If you are bored, it will not get better. Find a way to challenge yourself and keep opining.  It keeps your mind fresh.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 08:43:16 PM by Sassafras »
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline User Name

• MisFiT for Life!!!
  • truly "misfit"
    • www.skool.us
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »
Yeah i do the music thing "religiously" on my off time, but get discouraged because i want to do it 24/7 and can't.... I bought a collection of 6,000 records that i've been going through, they are pretty valuable and i can turn a nice profit (only have $.75 invested in each, and have found a lot of $20-$40 recordz already.  My dream is to open a record store, but it just takes a lot of upfront costs and its not really a "booming business" moreso a specialty.  I could make this happen, but still for now i got bills and not much opportunity otherwise.  (very crappy area here)

I have ability to do niteclub djing but the industry for that here is so screwed up by attention whores and cheap venue owners that it's almost a laughable course of action unless you own your own venue... Which is another dream of mine, but again, i'm just a working man.  One day i could possibly relocate but its hard being a in this position when i can just see the years of my life slipping away to "necessity" instead of being creative and doing something that i can potentially be bigger at than "being overworked/overqualified but underpaid/treated like garbage"... I'm not the person for all that "corporate ass kissing" nonsense.   [peace]

Offline User Name

• MisFiT for Life!!!
  • truly "misfit"
    • www.skool.us
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »
I'm actually corresponding with someone (group of 2) about starting a band  ::D  Just found the ad yesterday and feel pretty good about it...  But still a long way to go.. but maybe some hope for the future  (;D)b

Offline User Name

• MisFiT for Life!!!
  • truly "misfit"
    • www.skool.us
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:12:26 PM »
The band audition went well and they liked what i'm doing, so i'm in  ;D

Here is the songwriter/singer leading the way:  http://www.myspace.com/kyrtgates

So far the songs are good.  I was impressed for sure.  Going back this weekend for more practice and we're looking for a bassist now.   (BD)b

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:47:57 AM »
And life continues to be good.  I am happy for you.  I went to the myspace site and, ok, yeah.  Do you have a myspace site?  Mine is http://www.myspace.com/misfitguy 

Hopefully you'll get to be able to do what you love full time.  Very few people are able to do it.  If you even get to do full time for a minute, you will be very fortunate.  By the way, what do you play?  Or our you a vocalist or both?

Good luck,

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline User Name

• MisFiT for Life!!!
  • truly "misfit"
    • www.skool.us
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 04:09:23 PM »
Sorry for leaving you hanging  ::D

I play... well, i construct with keyboards, drum machines, and midi sequencing equipment for electronica based stuff.. Currently, i'm also somewhat learning the guitar.. I have a drumming background, but currently no drums (waiting on funds for that) I also dj/mix using vinyl, i play mostly electronic music on vinyl.  Currently, the band thing i was doing fell through.  I guess i should just chalk up that one to ego or ignorance on everyone's part.  It was a valuable experience though, however short lived.  Right now i'm going to try and get something going on guitar or drums and then try to use my electronics/production skills as an extra asset rather than my focus, since i don't play "piano" and most bands want a piano type keyboardist.  I am pretty much a "producer" in the sense of electronic music making, although i don't really claim the title since it has a broad meaning and not all producers are musicians and vice versa.  I'm a musician who's ideas trump the skill and resource level at this point but i have the ear for it.  I don't use computers so that puts me at sort of a disadvantage when it comes to production and i'm limited to my gear on what i can do, but i'm real close to having everything i need.  Then i could make my own albums and play my own instruments, record, and edit, master, on to finalized form.  But really what i want to do is get involved in a band if i can, so that i can start having some sort of outlet and use my personal electronic music aspirations as more of an added bonus rather than the be all/end all of my musical touch.  I have a wide variety of musical interest so i don't want to be tied down into any one area.  These are all just pipe dreams right now i guess.  But i do possess the background and some working knowledge of it all.

Not a vocalist btw  ;)  Although i could do it if i wanted to distort the hell out of my voice.   8)

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
  • Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »
I enjoy my work. Everyday I start at 12:00pm. Then I take an hour for lunch, and at 1:00pm I'm done.
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:40:56 AM »
The last job I had at Bil-Mar foods, I had the type of job that was self supervised.  We took breaks when we could, which meant we had no schedule.  This drove supervisors from other departments nuts.  One day a supervisor from some other department had came up to me in the cafeteria and said it seemed my break was longer than would have been expected.  I said, "Really?  You think so?"  (I love answering like this.  It isn't an argument, but requires him to either drop it or continue to be a nosey, asshole)

He said, "Yes. Don't you?"  Of course I said, "No, I would say that is about just the right amount." I then added, "Look Harry, I'm on the EBP. There is little I can do about it."  He said, "What's that?"  I said, "Wow, you never heard of it?  I signed up for it when I first hired in.  I thought it sounded pretty good.  It stands for the Extended Break Program.  It simply says that if you start break early, you have to stay in the break room an equal amount of time after the normal break program is over.  Harry, if you're not on it, I would go to personnel and ask them about it."

He looked at me and said, "We'll see about this.  I'm going to check."

Now you tell me that "work sucks" when you can have that sort of fun.

As a footnote, Harry told me the next day that personnel had never heard of the EBP program and Linda would like me to drop in.  I did and Linda and I had a great laugh together.

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »
We have a line that we sell in the summer to bikers called Signs of a Misfit.  They are the type one would hang on an office wall, if you don't have any class, or at a work place.  One of them has a picture of the MisFiT guy and the header
100 Per Center.  It went like this.

100 PER CENTER

I believe in giving 100% every week

Monday……………………………..12%
Tuesday…………….……………….18%
Wednesday……………………….32%
Thursday…………………………..27%
Friday………………………………..11%

I would give more than 100%,
but there just ain’t enough days
in the week.

~Groucho Marx

Offline JippiJ

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 06:56:26 AM »
Haha suffering from a similar fate as most I too am trapped in the ever revolving world of office boredom.

But I have found a way to make the whole thing taste a little better. I remind myself that as long as the box's are ticked I will receive my wage. So if I have to be int he office 9 hours every day and I have say 100 units of work to do in any given week, I can pretty much portion it out in a very similar manner to what your sign suggests Mick. Now the skill and enjoyment comes from filling the say 88% of time left on a Monday whilst ensuring that I look busy!

Answer = MCF, e-books, other forums, digg.com, bbc.co.uk/news, hunting related sites

When my company introduced mandatory data tracker type things on our PCs to ensure we are not looking at ***** at work... Hello I-Phone!

Where there is a will theres a Jip W==(:D)==
Be gratefull you have the chance to speak, don't waste it!

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:29:18 AM »

This thread was started by User Name and ever since he told us about his successful audition, we haven't heard a thing from him.  He is probably one of the new famous rock stars that I turn off.  I have had mindless jobs, but never for very long.  The longest I ever worked for somebody else was a little over 5 years.  This job, meaning our business, is the longest I have ever accomplished.  I started this in 1994, Sass joined me in 1998 and we are still chugging along.  One of the keys to our business, is we make sure we don't grow to big.  This business allows us to live our life as we like to.  It pays the bills and allows us about 280 days a year for us to do what we like to do.  Sometimes that is nothing and when you can sit around doing nothing with no worries about housing, food, etc, that is a sort of richness many individuals will never experience, no matter how much money they make.

Years ago, we were in a cash crunch and Sassafras was kind of wondering if maybe we should be doing something different like get back on the "employee" wheel.  I asked her what TGIF meant to her.  She said nothing, since many times we are setting up our show on a Friday.  I asked her what, "saving up for a vacation meant to her,"  and she said, again, nothing since we kind of live a vacation.  I said, "Exactly!".  We really don't have it too bad.  I realize that most people could never live like we do and I am happy we are one of the few that can.  I will say, though, that most people do not have to be tied to mindless employment.  There are so many alternatives to making enough money to survive.  I once met a guy that fixed gauges.  He bought the business from somebody else.  He simply fixed dial gauges for industry.  Unbelievable. 

In Arizona, we'll be picking stones up off the ground, putting them in boxes and selling them to people that don't realize they too could look down and pick these same stones up.  In Florida, once, a vendor next to us was selling sharks teeth.  The market we were in had just had a layer of river gravel spread and he noticed a lot of sharks teeth in the grave.  So he would pick them up and put them on the table and sell them for a dollar.  After he collected more of them, he sorted them out by size and had different prices for them.  We went to that market for about a month and Bill would walk up and down the aisles picking up sharks teeth.  It makes me smile. Bill said these items became on of his best sellers and he traced down where the gravel came from and where it was being dumped and he and his wife had collected hundreds of teeth over the past weeks. 

I suspect if "work sucks", then "life sucks" for that individual.  What a horrible existence.

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline JippiJ

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 04:38:43 AM »
I think I have a similar attitude though apodt a different method for trucking through work related subjects.

I have some very keen ideas for how I will spend my days "working" ina  few years. At the moment I have a young family and many, many dogs to feed so it suits me to spend my 9-5's in a suit and working a job that is not overly rewarding but is serving as a means to an end. I am happy to go on a Monday but also happy to think TGIF which i think is the balance I am happy with for the time being.

I do agree that everyone should strive to be able to combine the things they love with making a little money but more often than not I thin people should just take a minute to think about the things they think they want. Often we strive for more money, bigger houses, more stuff etc. But the big house, two cars, swimming pool and latest electronic gadgetry usually isn't what makes us happy it just shows us what we can afford.

For me, money has always been something I have sought to pay for the things I need rather than looked to line my walls with. As the balance of life changes with age I hope that my requirement for money reduces in-line with my apathy for working for others. That way I will know exactly when it is time to say enough is enough and start my plan of working for myself. Though it won't bring in mega bucks I am hoping it will support my modest lifestyle as after all that is all I need to make me happy.

I think earlier on in this topic someone put a figure of around 5/7 of your life being work. Maybe if we can adjust the way we see work then its not a loss but rather a portion of our life that we can feel good about along with the other 2/7 whatever that may be. Just a thought.

Mick and Sass, you guys definitely are in an enviable position. Not so much because of the way you live or the fact that you only work so few days but rather that you are happy with all 7/7's of your life together. Thats a great thing to achieve.

Jip
Be gratefull you have the chance to speak, don't waste it!

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
  • Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 03:14:02 AM »
I know people that think they are what they do. They have forgotten who they were. I find this sad.
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 06:39:01 AM »
Jip,

I too think we are in an enviable position.  Sass and I have been together 24/7 since July 8th, 1998 and still loving it.  There was two weeks in September of 1998 I was in York, PA and Myrtle Beach, SC without Sass, since she was attending classes in college, but that is the only time we have been separated. 

I thought I would mention that the key to me being able to live as we do was careful planning.  I decided that I wanted to do something like I am doing in the late 1980's.  I also decided that to do it, I couldn't have any debt.  I used the time from 1988 to 1994 to pay off all debt and build up stock before I walked away from my job.  Since that time, the only debt I have incurred is for medical things.  All of my vehicles have been paid for with cash.  All of our stock have been paid for with cash up front.  We don't have a credit card.  We tried to, once, but found we were always paying late fees, simply because we traveled and missed payment dates.  I love the debit card. 

We also don't let the little things get us down.  Yesterday, we were at a Wal-Mart in Big Rapids, Michigan, about 200 miles from our house.  I walked through a rainstorm to the van to get it so I could pick up Sass and it wouldn't start.  We waited out the storm and Sass got a gentleman to jump us and it didn't help.  I started to trace wires and found loose wires on our solenoid and a broken ground wire.  I tightened, put a new wire end on the ground wire and it started.  We then went for breakfast and when we came out of the restaurant, the van wouldn't start again.  I crawled under the van, crossed the posts on the starter and manually started the engine.  Then we drove home without turning the van off.  Today, I will take it to a repair shop to get this problem fixed.  The point of the story is that neither Sass nor I ever got upset over the car problems.  A long time ago, we decided these sort of events were simply just part of our journey.  This is probably the key to our being able to do what we do and enjoying it.  We are on a journey, recognize our life as such and enjoy not knowing what is going to unfold tomorrow but are looking forward to it.

Smoke, many of these people never found out who they were.  When I first met Sass, she was 22 and I was 50.  I remember her telling me what she wanted to be as most young people do.  I told her that day, the most important thing she could do for herself is figure out who she was and then what she would become would simply happen.  She actually pondered this and has repeated it to me and others over the years.  Both of us still look forward to what we will become when we grow up.

Mick

~Groucho Marx