Author Topic: What Olympics?!!....Where?!  (Read 15326 times)

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
What Olympics?!!....Where?!
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »
All I've heard Vancouverites speak about over the past year was "Winter Olympics" this, "Winter Olympics", that. Some are in favor of it, but most are not. The city is in a fairly serious recession right now and much of the Arts and other thriving industries have suffered through cutbacks and non support from our government in order to fund the olympic games. Now that the time is upon us for these games to begin, Even more taxpayer money will be wasted...er *:)---x* spent... to cover the mountain with snow for the much required downhill skiing and snowboarding events, and to make a seperate rink for the bobsled and speed skating events, as GM place is reserved for the hockey. In a city like vancouver you can't expect it to snow "every" year. ::) This might sound like gibberish to you, but.....i think i'm in a tragedy..... :'(
As God as my witness, I cannot tell a lie.  ;)

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: What Olympics?!!....Where?!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »

I would like to suggest you join in and enjoy.  I have enjoyed the winter olympics for the zillion years I have been able to watch them on TV and never was able to attend an event in person.  The Olympics are bid for because they bring in huge amounts of money.  It is these sort of things that also bring in industry, and attracts positive individuals to a community.  I have never heard of an Olympics that bankrupted an area but usually the other way around.

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »
Actually, The security company I work for is doing security for the olympics, so many events ( those taking place within the city limits) I can check out for free. Regarding the benefits of the financial investment, we won't know for sure until after the fact.   :-\

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
  • Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »
Security company you say? Good, here's the plan. When the time is right, jump in and slide down the hill. 

We'll watch for you on TV.   ::D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:11:34 AM by Smokebender »
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
How mistaken I was!!!!

This was the best Olympics Canada has ever seen and competed in! OOOOOOO
I enjoyed many of the events at work, some of the events at various venues set up to watch the games on big screen, the mobs downtown were AWESOME!!!! It was a twenty - four - fourteen PARTY!!

Oh, and before i forget....SIDNEY CROSBY'S MY BOY!!!! Not just because he scored the winning goal, but because he was born and raised in my own back yard. Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia!

All of the Athletes were terrific!! I feel grateful to have been living in a city that hosted the world. And such a friendly, peaceful world it is!  [welcome]  d(BD)b

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:39 AM »
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it.  I know we did.  Because we live on the Canadian border, we get three Canadian channels on our cable and we watched more of the Olympics on the Canadian channels than on the US channel.  I believe we saw more of the Olympics and a better view of the events.  We missed the hockey game as we were working, but I congratulate the Canadian Hockey team for their win.  I used to enjoy the hockey competition more when Canada and the US used amateurs, but it is the will of those that are in the know.

Anyway, the best of the Olympics for Vancouver is just beginning.  Typically, you'll see growth and prosperity where there wasn't any in the past.

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 01:45:12 PM »
I know that many Americans snicker at Canadians and their pride over hockey. Even I think pride is rediculous, but hockey is to Canada as baseball is to Americans. You take away the baseball or the hockey from either culture, you take the American/Canadian dream with it.  (;D)b

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 03:28:39 PM »
Well, I am a hockey fan and a Red Wings fan as well, but have enjoyed watching Montreal and Toronto over the years.  I agree that hockey is to Canada as baseball is to America.  After all, the ditty goes, "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet."  Again, I congratulate the Canadians on their victory as well as the Americans on their silver medal.  I think this could have been one of my favorite winter Olympics and considering my age, that is a lot of Olympics.

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
Well, I am a hockey fan and a Red Wings fan as well, but have enjoyed watching Montreal and Toronto over the years.  I agree that hockey is to Canada as baseball is to America.  After all, the ditty goes, "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet."  Again, I congratulate the Canadians on their victory as well as the Americans on their silver medal.  I think this could have been one of my favorite winter Olympics and considering my age, that is a lot of Olympics.

Mick

I agree! The American team definitely played their best, even beating Canada to make it to the quarter finals.  They all deserve gold medals, unfortunately, the olympic committee doesn't see it like that.  (;D)b

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 02:42:18 PM »
One thing has bothered me about the pre Olympic torch relay. When the torch arrived in Vancouver, Arnold Schwarzenegger was given the honor of carrying the torch through Stanley Park. He is neither a Canadian nor an Olympian. It doesn't make sense. I know he is friends with Vancouver's Mayor, but still, that honor should have gone to someone who is a prominent Canadian or a past/ present Olympian athlete.  :)7

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 01:11:16 AM »
I know that many Americans snicker at Canadians and their pride over hockey. Even I think pride is rediculous, but hockey is to Canada as baseball is to Americans. You take away the baseball or the hockey from either culture, you take the American/Canadian dream with it.  (;D)b

I don't snicker at hockey or baseball. Just kids with a ball from my stand point. Not part of my life or my dream.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 04:26:37 PM »

I don't snicker at hockey or baseball. Just kids with a ball from my stand point. Not part of my life or my dream.

You sound depressed Smoke. What is your dream dahlin'? c'mon, share it with us.

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:41:34 AM »
I'm not depressed, just not "normal" when it comes to sports. I have little interest. I've always been that way.

As far as a dream goes, mine is freedom. True and complete freedom. I guess it's ok to dream the impossible.
A Hopi elder speaks.

sir-individual