Author Topic: Whale Wars  (Read 11133 times)

Offline JippiJ

• Purple Maple Syruple
Whale Wars
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:16 AM »
Thought I would put a little post on here about this programm I watched the other day.

It has just started being screened I think for the second season on Sky.

The jist is a load of volunteers who sale down to the Southern Oceans to stop the Japanese Whalers.

These guys are pretty much willing to loose their lives to stop the whales being killed.

It got me thinking howcomes people will protest against the cruel treatment of the whales / dolphins blah blah blah but no-one fights for the crab / tuna / sheep that we all eat day in day out?

I guess Vegetarians / Vegans do their bit by not eating meat which I guess is the best stance if you are upset by the concept but seems to me that people are happy to protect whatever "they" feel is important but are happy to not think about the other stuff. Smacks a little of hypocrisy if you ask me.

If you are going to eat an animal you should ultimately be willing to catch it, kill it and cook it. If not you haev no right to complain about the treatment of any food animal.
Be gratefull you have the chance to speak, don't waste it!

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: Whale Wars
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »
I agree, but I am surprised that you didn't wonder why these people aren't protesting against the killing of people because of war, famine, bad distribution of wealth, disease not being treated and plain old genocide.  That is where the real hypocrisy comes in, according to my way of thinking.
Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline JippiJ

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:21:40 AM »
I guess my point is that there is always some wrong doing depending on which side of the proverbial fence you sit on.

Whatever your cause there will always be a similar one which is over-looked.

My problem is that people glide by happily ignorant to certian problems but then feel they have the right to rant and protest and create with regards to one specific thing that ticks them off on any given Sunday.

I'm with you on the issues front but I guess I'm a little more honest when I say I have smaller issues of my own which I need to take care of. They aren't on a great important scale like some of the ones you mentioned but they are important to me. Things like looking after my family, working to provide and setting a good example to my son. All these rate far higher on my scale of "what I need to do" than protesting against some percieved wrong doing.

It's not gonna pave the way to the pearly gates but I think it's a good honest living.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:31:04 PM »
I surely can relate to your mission as you see it.  I raised 5 children and during that time that was my concern.  I am fortunate in my late years to have a wife that is interested in some of the bigger issues and children that became good adults with sound families.  In 1993, I traveled to Eastern Europe so I could meet some of the "courageous" people there that had stood up and said, "Enough is enough." in 1989.  I wasn't a part of any group and simply traveled by train and car around E. Europe taking in the feelings of hope that I encountered.  Ten years prior, I wouldn't have even thought of doing something like that. 

I hope to spend some time in Chile in the next couple of years and don't really know where I'll be after that.  My "Wanderlust" freed itself as I grew older and my concern for larger issues was able to come forward in my agenda. 

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline JippiJ

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »
And so Mick, here we are nealy a year older and another year wiser. Still the same issues and concerns but like a pebble on the beach we are smoothed by the passage of time.
I still have the same feelings of irritation but find that I am putting more of my energies in to getting on with the things I care about and less in to shouting at people haha ^:|--

I think it is a great journey you are on and for that matter, we are all on. The great thing is being able to see it as that as it takes away the aches and pains of the smaller probelms that life throws at us leaving us more time to figure out the bigger ones. I do feel sorry for the ones who can't see this for what it is but then, maybe they can post on a board about how aggreviated they are by someone slamming Whale Wars. Lol its a beautiful thing is symmetry.  :D

Jip

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:03:27 AM »
Jip,

While rereading this thread, I was reminded of you putting raising your son and being a good example to him high on your list of "things I need to do."  I can't think of anything more honorable a man/woman can strive for.  Once, I was called by a business that explained to me that a neighbor had used me as a reference for a job they were trying to fill.  I didn't like the guy.  On the other hand, he wasn't a bad person and, in fact, had married a lady with two children and was dedicating his life to raising them and being a good substitute father.  So I told the woman that called that Ray was a good father and and a good family man.  She felt that was the best anybody could say about a person and thanked me.  To the day, my memories confirm I don't like the man and the reasons why, but I can not deny his character in the way he treated his chosen family.

I am looking to move to Arizona.  It is a beautiful state with mountains, rugged terrain, and fast flowing mountain streams and rivers.  It is also a state that is filled with people in pain.  People that are fighting the diversity of ethnicity and culture surrounding them.  I wonder if I may be drawn to this cauldron of confusion as my next project.  I feel at times, I am as much an observer of my life as it unfolds as I am a participant.  I know I have loved my journey so far.  I look forward to a couple of more chapters in the future.

We are always looking for those that would like to post their thoughts and beliefs and hand out many misfitcityforum.com cards inviting individuals.  Some of the members here came from those invites and some like you found this forum on their own.  I think if you invited a hundred individuals to join, people you like and enjoy their company, you would be surprised how few would find this forum of their liking.  I sometimes think it is too daunting for many people.  I also think since most of the posters actually use complete sentences, it may be too confusing. 

Bad me....

Mick

~Groucho Marx

sir-individual