Health Discussions > SayNOtoMSG.com :: To Your Health - Dedicated MSG Section

Citric Acid

(1/3) > >>

misfitguy:
I am adding this from another thread we are deleting because of a request from the thread creator, but I didn't want to lose this research I had done.

Citric Acid.  Let me quote a site that discusses MSG.

" The food ingredient "citric acid" provides us with a good example of why MSG-sensitive people with little tolerance are having difficulty staying well. Many people believe that "citric acid" comes from citrus fruits, and since most people can tolerate citrus fruits, "citric acid" should not be a problem. However, most of the "citric acid" used today is made from corn rather than from citrus fruits. The Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM) is a major producer of "citric acid."

"Citric acid" is produced by fermentation of crude sugars. When "citric acid" is produced from corn, manufacturers do not take the time or undertake the expense to remove all corn protein. During processing, the remaining protein is hydrolyzed, resulting in some processed free glutamic acid (MSG). "Citric acid" may also interacts with any protein in the food to which it is added, freeing up more glutamic acid. "

Smokebender:
This is good to learn. It seems "they" put corn in everything now.

If I understand correctly then we have two different things here. One is citric acid from citrus.
The other is some crap made from corn and called citric acid when it truly is not and could not be citric acid.

Is that the way you see it too Mick?

misfitguy:
This is the same as MSG found naturally in nature, which does not cause people problems and synthesized MSG which is the stuff that is being used in our foods today.  Citric acid was once used to maintain color but they have synthesized it by hydrolyzing corn proteins.  The only reason you hydrolyze any protein is to create synthesized MSG.  The citric acid used in our foods today is the synthesized hydrolyzed protein.  Why it is being used in a patch, I don't know, but I would ask.  It is used in hair conditioner because it adds protein to our hair, even though it permeates through the skin and causes headaches and brain damage.  Sass gets migraines, most other people that are affected just get a lingering headache.  It is also now being added to shampoos.  Citric acid today is just another way of saying monosodium glutamate.  Here is a list of other ingredients that are also simply monosodium glutamate.

*  Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
    * Glutamate anything
    * Glutamic Acid
    * Hydrolyzed anything
          o Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten
          o Hydrolyzed Pea Protein
    * Plant Protein
    * Textured Protein
    * Autolyzed anything
          o Autolyzed Yeast Extract
          o Autolyzed Plant Protein
    * Yeast Extract
    * Yeast Nutrient
    * Caseinate anything
          o Calcium Caseinate
          o Sodium Caseinate
    * Gelatin
    * Aspartame (any artificial sugar)

or you can go here to read the whole list  http://www.saynotomsg.com/basics_list.php

Mick

Smokebender:
This is helpful. I'm learning, but I'm not there yet. There is a lot to it for sure.

When you said,  "The citric acid used in our foods today is the synthesized hydrolyzed protein.  Why it is being used in a patch, I don't know, but I would ask". You seem to be suggesting that the citric acid used in the patch you refered to is synthesized and not natural. I don't believe it is synthesized in the patch example, but I'm not sure. I am sure that citric acid is listed as an inactive ingredient along with potassium sorbate. These two inactive ingredients along with the active ingredients make up the non-transdermal patch. As you know non-transdermal means none of the ingredients, active or inactive, enter the body. I offer this because you brought up the patch again.

So getting back to MSG and the like, I'm sorry to learn that Sass suffers from migraines. I have another friend that has the same trouble for many years and has never been able to find much relief. Has Sass ever been able to find anything for the pain? I hope so.

misfitguy:
Steve,

She simply doesn't use products with MSG and she doesn't have pain.  When she gets a headache, we go back to whatever she has had contact with in the past 24 hours and find the culprit.  The food and health and beauty industry are constantly changing and MSG and all of its derivatives that it hides it in are being added as we message.  Citric Acid typically doesn't give her an immediate reaction and it cause a lingering headache the next day.  Your friend that suffers from headaches simply needs to change her diet rather than try to mask her pain.  Pain comes from our body warning us that something isn't right.  Pain, most times, is not an infliction, but it is a symptom.

Concerning the word non-transdermal.  It boggles my brain. I can't imagine why you think that the citric acid that is listed in the patch is not synthesized.  It is cheap and has become the industry standard.  You can go to a health food store and buy it, but it is the synthesized type.  I read much of what is claimed by this company and their claim is something to do with magnetic yada yada yada and nanoantennas yada yada yada.  I just don't get it, I guess.  Again, I don't doubt people have found success with its use.  Cocaine, opium and arsenic were once sold in patent medicine and were very effective.  I personally know of people that were addicted to cough syrup with codeine.  Making a person feel good or masking pain is easy.  Done daily.

Again, since you seem to have an understanding of what non transdermal means, I would ask why citric acid is used? 

Mick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version