Author Topic: When Technology Fails: How to Survive the Long Emergency  (Read 18249 times)

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
When Technology Fails: How to Survive the Long Emergency
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:09:34 AM »

This topic is an interesting one and a friend thought that it would be a good thread.  I agree.  The world is everchanging and we, Americans, are very dependent on technology.  Just watch what happens when there is an ice storm and people have to go a few days without electricity.  I read recently that the ice storm in Kentucky and Tennessee were responsible for numerous deaths related to carbon-monoxide poisoning, caused by individuals trying to heat their house.

The simplest of tasks, such as having water to drink, which we need every day, food to eat and shelter, become a challenge during these times.  This article is an interview with an author that wrote a book explaining how to survive ordeals.  I am not suggesting that anybody buy the book or that the author is correct in his directions and suggestions, but this topic is an interesting one.

http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/123179

Could you survive a disaster?  Are you sure?  Are you prepared?  Do you have the basic skills it would take to find water, food and shelter?  These could be important questions. 

Any comments?

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
  • Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
Re: When Technology Fails: How to Survive the Long Emergency
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:33:42 PM »
This is a topic that has been important in my life for over fourty years. Parparedness is the key word. I have not read the book referred to here, but the ten points made by the author are all valid to be sure. It's not about " War of the Worlds" or the end days. It's just about having what you need in hand, and between your ears, nothing more. "I'll never need any of that" you may say? Wrong. Plain and simply, this is important for everyone.

Your questions to the readers Mick are good ones. I dare say most people are not prepared for what you refered to as the "simplest tasks" and should embrace the subject now. Information on this subject is easy to find and it saves lives.
Ask any Boy Scout his motto. "Be prepared"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:36:41 PM by Smokebender »
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »
A few years ago, I was in the woods with a few other people.  They would take daily walks down a two track, but accept for one well defined path, they would not venture off of the road.  I spent a half of a day with them in the woods, while they tried to find camp from about a quarter mile away.  Their sense of direction didn't exist.  Nor did they pay attention when we walked off the road so they could acclimate themselves.  I would guess that they would still be there if they hadn't had a guide. 

I literally grew up in the woods.  I could walk 5 miles east and cross one sandy road and see two houses and 4 miles south and cross one gravel road and see three houses.  There was a couple of trout stream that ran through this area and many feeder streams.  In the 50's, during my youth, TV didn't offer much and besides, I had 4 brothers and sisters to compete with for TV time, so I didn't pay it much mind.  I spent many days during that time foraging for meals, with berries, fish cooked on a stick, wild apples in season.  I caught fish by hand by simply lieing down next to a small deep section of a feeder stream, putting my arm in the water, with my hand cupped, and flipping a fish onto the bank when one finally came close enough.  It didn't always work, but it did teach me patience.  I also set dead falls and killed rabbits with them as well as a partridge.  I have caught rabbits by hand in deep snow and partridge by hand after an ice storm. 

This sort of growing up was priceless.  I am very comfortable in the wilds and the idea of survival has always been a part of me.  It does amaze me how many people don't think past their thermostat.

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:44:33 PM »
Mankind lost his sense of survival with the invention of the wheel and has lived insecurely in his convenience ever since. I have never been a victim of natural disaster, but I have been "homeless". Homeless people are the true survivors. My advice to anyone who doesn't think he can survive a disaster, is to challenge yourself now. Spend a few weeks on the streets or even in the wilderness. Get to know some of the people who can show you how to make and maintain a trash can fire, set up shelter anywhere from an abandoned basement to a grove of trees or bushes. If you have saved any funds before the disaster, obtaining food shouldn't be too much of a problem. If not, learn how to fish, trap, whatever it takes. The wilderness offers much in the way of food. Berries, fruit, meat.
It is wise if every parent enrol their child/children in the boy/girl scouts. There they will learn the basic survival skills, but experience teaches you more.
As God as my witness, I cannot tell a lie.  ;)

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »
Actually, I'd be more concerned if I ran into Bigfoot while living in my treehouse. 8O

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »
Well if that were you happen would you know what to do? I'm thinking jumping out the window would be a bad idea.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:26:16 AM »
I'll have to plan it to include ropes or vines so I can swing fr tree to tree. ::D

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:26:11 AM »
I'll have to plan it to include ropes or vines so I can swing fr tree to tree. ::D
Very good because that is just what we are talking about here. Planning ahead and having what is needed to avoid becoming a victim of whatever comes your way. It's the smart way to go. No need to count on others to save your butt when you are able to help yourself and any others in your care. Independence is the goal. Independence is powerful.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:37:13 AM by Smokebender »
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »
True, independence is the way to go, but we must sometimes swallow our pride. I never would have thought of that if you had not asked the question. See? We do need others.

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »
Your point is well taken. We all need others for many reasons. For myself this whole idea is not a matter of pride really. It's just who I am in one way. This way of thinking is something I learned early in life and it's burned into my being. I could not change it if I wanted to, and that's alright with me.
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »
 (;D)b You've come too far to change who you are.

So have I. There is someone back home who thought he could change me overnight. Although we were never "together" together, (he's married), I spent twelve years of hell in his acquaintance. He is prestigious in his job and lifestyle, and money means the world to him. I am humble and tried to instill this value in my children. He thought I could be more and tried to "make it happen" overnight. But I had to do it his way or no way. I must remain my own person, follow my instincts with my life, and be in control of "me". I needed to do it "my" way first. I can look back on that experience and realize that although he could never change who I am, he did help me to grow with his tough love attitude.

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 08:24:59 AM »
Many of us remember the power outage of 2003. I watched the tv as hundreds and hundreds walked NY highways like a hoard of zombies. Some of them sporting a look on their faces that seemed to ask, who will take care of us now? This power outage went on, as you may recall for several days, and to many of these people in the northeast were helpless.      Most so much so they lacked the ability to flush their own toilet. I watched them sit on the steps of the buildings and wait, and wait, and wait. Why were they unable to help themselves? I hope some learned a lesson. It will happen again.   
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:28:54 AM by Smokebender »
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »
What would they have learned if they didn't try the first time? If they wait long enough a miracle will happen?

Many people don't yet realize that they have the power to create their own miracles.

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 08:52:54 PM »
I'm not at all sure I understand you this time Truthsayer. Some of these folks learned they need to be ready for happenings like power outages. You were lucky in the power outage example above. As you know two hours with no power does not a real power outage make. What if for example the power outage was two months long? I'm no chicken little, but I am ready for the time when an example like this comes up in real life.
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 10:31:26 PM »
I'm saying learning comes with experience. That outage was an opportunity, but as you related the story, no one was taking advantage of it. They weren't doing anything to try and help themselves. You said they sat on steps and waited. For what? They may not have had some of the things necessary for survival, candles, batteries, gas powered coleman stove or even a barbeque, etc... but I'm sure they all didn't lack the funds to try and acquire some of these things while they "waited". Bottled water you can purchase anywhere. Even if you have to drive for miles to get it. A true survivor has the will and the knowhow to survive. I hope they learned something too, but they'll never "do it" by sitting around "waiting". Being prepared is the key, if not in the "things" you need to survive, then in the knowing what you'll need and how to acquire them. I'm glad you have taken the steps to be prepared. Knowledge is power, power creates miracles. True, personal power.

sir-individual