Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
MisFiT Humor Room / Re: If You Put Your Mind To It You Can Believe Anything
« Last post by grantysboys on February 06, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
Very true thank you so so much. W==(:D)==
Ramblings of a MisFiT / Re: Gravity
« Last post by misfitguy on February 05, 2014, 05:59:37 PM »

bump
For those that don't know, sodium caseinate or calcium caseinate are a hydrolyzed milk protein. For anybody that is doing research on MSG, one has probably found that any hydrolyzed protein creates MSG and will cause reactions in sensitive people.  Anybody that has read a list of ingredients to avoid will have seen sodium caseinate and calcium caseinate on the list, but maybe didn't know why they were listed.  They are just as bad as MSG, since 12% to 20% by volume of these chemicals is MSG and any flavor enhancing characteristics that are achieved, come from the MSG contained in them.  Some manufacturers of hydrolyzed proteins enhance these products even further by adding raw MSG to them, raising their total percentage to 40-50%.  

Now for the BEWARE!  According to the FDA (that evil government agency solely owned by corporations) a company that uses sodium caseinate or calcium caseinate in their frozen products does not have to list these ingredients.  That's right, these companies can add these flavor enhancers to, for say, ice cream, and they do, and they don't have to tell you about it in the ingredient list, on their website or anywhere, for that matter.  So BEWARE OF ALL FROZEN DAIRY PRODUCTS.  They just may contain some artfully hidden hydrolyzed proteins.

Keep up the good fight

Mick

I just noticed that this thread about Olive Gardens has over12,000 hits, by far the most of any topic in the health section by over 10,000 hits.  This tells me that there are a lot of people that have suffered after eating there.  My suggestion is don't eat there unless they change back to there old ways and quit using excitotoxins in their food.

Keep up the good fight

Mick
Happy to have found this forum! After years of constant headaches, stomach problems, and fatigue, I decided to have a food allergy test done. When the results showed an intolerance to MSG I began paying attention to the times I felt my worst. I've been cutting out as many forms of MSG as I can, but it sure is tough! I began feeling better almost immediately, but also feel the affects much quicker when I "cheat" or don't realize MSG is in something I eat. It's great to see a site like this that's so informative and supportive.

Glad you found us and thank you for your information. Everytime somebody joins the forum and posts, it shows other readers that they aren't the only one suffering.  I am pretty much convinced that most people wouldn't be at this forum because they were casually surfing the internet.  They are here because they or some one close suffers from symptoms of excitotoxins.  Notice I use the word excitotoxin instead of MSG. I do so because there are over a hundred chemicals that will cause you distress and MSG is only one of them.  Anything protein that is hydrolyzed or anything that is autolyzed is even worse than MSG.  A lot of the binders used such as carrageenan, xanthum gum, etc will cause reactions.  All the fake sugars, and there are many, cause reactions.  And it is not just found in our foodstuffs.  Carrageenan is found in toothpaste, hydrolyzed protein is found in hair conditioners and some shampoos and some of the skin creams use a hydrolyzed protein to enrich the skin but they will cause distress in people that suffer from MSG reactions.  Most of the medical industry and nutrition industry deny that these additives will cause us problems.  The "health" industry even sells autolyzed yeast products in a powder form to increase muscle production and of course headaches.

Read labels and stay healthy.

Keep up the good fight

Mick Zellar
There are a few great phone apps that identify all of these in foods! The one I'm using is NxtNutrio, but I've heard of others. You can select your food allergies or intolerances, such as MSG. Then, you can scan the barcode of a food... All ingredients come up with a green check mark or red x letting you know what allergens are present. Super helpful with MSG since it has so many names.
Happy to have found this forum! After years of constant headaches, stomach problems, and fatigue, I decided to have a food allergy test done. When the results showed an intolerance to MSG I began paying attention to the times I felt my worst. I've been cutting out as many forms of MSG as I can, but it sure is tough! I began feeling better almost immediately, but also feel the affects much quicker when I "cheat" or don't realize MSG is in something I eat. It's great to see a site like this that's so informative and supportive.
Movies / Re: Have you seen: Forks Over Knives?
« Last post by Sassafras on January 06, 2014, 12:49:13 AM »
Have you seen forks over knives. i know form experience that there is a great deal of the truth of the message.

Jaindar,

I have not seen Forks Overs Knives yet.  I read a description of the movie and I remember that I did want to see it, though.  Since I am really into eliminating certain ingredients from my diet anyways, this movie should be in the forefront of my Watch These Movies Soon List.

BTW, Thank you for joining the Forum.  The City, as I like to call it, is inundated with boredom at this time and reading your posts has been a treat.  Again, thank you.

[welcome]

Yes, I am quoting myself, because I am updating my post.

I have seen Forks Overs Knives and I love it!!  I recommend everyone should watch this movie, though, it really is a documentary of the benefits of a wholefoods and plant-based diet.

Mick and I went 12 years without eating any beef.  We did start eating buffalo which was sooooo much better than beef.  First off, our bodies need an enzyme to digest beef.  This enzyme causes heartburn, ulcers, and ulcer like conditions.  Mick went years not eating beef, but about the time we got together, he started eating it again.  One and a half years later, we both stopped eating beef, because Mick was getting up in the middle of the night to drink baking soda and water to calm his stomach because of heartburn.

Now, thirteen years after we quick beef, we only have beef once a week so we still have the enzyme for beef digestion, but not so much where we cause our selves to get heartburn and ulcers.  Though, having seen this documentary, I am very strongly considering the diet they are suggesting.

We are having more salads and have purchased a blender to make smoothies.

What are your thoughts?

Mick gave some really good food ideas.  There are other helpful restaurant tips, and I will post them when they come to me. 

I would say that any restaurant - chain restaurant or not - has something which is safe for every ESS (Excitotoxin Sensitivity Syndrome) sufferer.  Of course, that "something" might only be a pine float but still something nonetheless.  [A "pine float" is a glass of water with a toothpick.  Just a little humor.]

This post does remind me of one incident in Las Vegas last year.  While traveling, we tend to go to Denny's because I know what I can order and not get sick.  But, we were getting tired of the same older meals, so I asked our waitress about other restaurants in the city.  She suggested Blueberry Hill Restaurant.  The restaurant emphasized pancakes from "scratch", "homemade" mashed potatoes, and "homemade" desserts.  Impressive.

Breakfast is usually always safe for me, even in the evening, so we tried it.  We also asked questions about their evening meals and were impressed.  That evening, I think, we went there again and we had a very helpful waitress.  I asked questions and she answered them or found out the information if she didn't know.  When my meal came, I was suspicious of my side, which was rice.  I ordered it because I was told it was cooked with only water.  It turned out the rice wasn't just plain white rice, but mixed with Uncle Ben's in a box, which had, I think, Autolyzed Yeast.  Nonetheless, I couldn't have it, and our waitress quickly substituted it for something I could have.

The point of the story is, no matter how many questions you ask, you might get something you can't eat.  I can tell you that this has happened to me plenty of times.  It might seem "fussy" to some people, but not wanting to get sick isn't "being fussy", its being smart and healthy.

I hope this helps you (and others).

Keep up the good fight!!

My Friend,

I just wish there is a restaurant that we could simply trust to prepare food without us having to ask questions.  Oddly, there are types of food that tend to be safe, but not a restaurant that I would ever say, sure, they only serve good wholesome, home cooking.  Pizza is normally a save food, if you don't have Italian sausage on it.  Sometimes the sausage is OK, but sometimes the processor of the sausage uses excitotoxins for some of their spices.  Italian restaurants normally have a pretty good menu that is safe to eat.  I think it is because they use natural spices that don't need flavor enhancing.  But, fair warning, even in Italian restaurants, most soups will have a canned stock as a base and that is where the bad things are found.

Mexican restaurants are normally safe, but not chain Mexican restaurants.  They also use strong spices in cumin, chili powder, cilantro and garlic which do not need flavor enhancing.  If the restaurant is part of a larger conglomerate, though, it is important to ask if they get their sauces from a can or central processing plant. 

We have found certain foods are safe to order when traveling.  Grilled ham and cheese is a good order.  Fish if they are baked or broiled with no seasoning or lemon.  Salads if the heads are chopped on site and do not come from a bag or aren't treated with a fix-it to keep them from browning.  Breakfast, but ask that they don't use any spicing on your potatoes and don't use any special "pancake" butter on the eggs or pancakes or French Toast.  Also, when ordering omelets or scrambled eggs, ask for "fresh" eggs, rather than bottled eggs. Do not use any flavored creamers in your coffee, which many restaurants provide. Avoid most sweetened pastries unless you can read the ingredients.  Many today use maltodextrin and other fake sugars.  Baked potatoes are OK, but not mashed potatoes unless they actually boil and then mash them and never any spiced potatoes like garlic potatoes.  No gravy or soups or ice cream (carrageenen) or diet drinks.  It is good to get to know a restaurant and their staff. Find one that understands your needs and wait staff that are responsive.  We have restaurants across the nation that have come to know us and we make it a point to stop at while traveling. Since we travel a lot, we depend on restaurants and have learned how to avoid the things that will cause Sassafras symptoms.  By the way, if we stop at a new restaurant and are not able to get answers for our questions, we will leave rather than risk sickening Sass.  There have been times, in a small town, after leaving a restaurant, we have gone to a grocery store and purchased fresh fruit and vegetables and picnicked in the car/van, which, by the way, is a lot more satisfying.

Eating at home can be an answer, but eating out, with care, can be OK as well.  You mentioned that pasta causes you to bloat.  I remember that in college, I came to realize that if I ate spaghetti, within a couple of hours or less, I would feel like it had doubled in my stomach.  This caused me to use much less pasta than I had in the past, which helped.  Now that I am diabetic,  using less pasta is better for me anyway.

Wishing you well

Mick
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]