Author Topic: looking up....  (Read 8106 times)

Offline finlander

• Purple Maple Syruple
looking up....
« on: March 07, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »
When we were north in Januarym we foolishly went for a drive. We expected to do a short loop srarting on Old Vanderbilt and go east then north past Round Lake.  It was single digits and the roads had not been plowed. I have a 2wd Dakota.  Anyhoo, we came around one bend and surprised a whitetail standing in the road. There was another off in the trees. What caught my eye was how the one in the road had its' head back and tipped to the side. It was looking upward I believe.  Shoul I/we be looking in the trees more than not?  I did not find any tracks in the snow where I thought the knocking had come from.  I thought it was within 50 yards.  It just doesnt seem like there are that many trees in the area that could support much weight.

Offline Smokebender

• Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
Re: looking up....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:07:33 AM »
It may be time to trade er in on a 4x4. That sure can be 4x4 country. I've seen times in the fall when folks drove in for a stay and the weather turned. Then they one heck of a time getting back out. Snow can come fast and hard, as you know. Another example is the hill at Red Bridge, easy down that hill, up at times not so much.

It's not a bad idea to look up. I have read more than one report of little ones in trees. I don't need to tell you that one could spot any number of critters up trees in that neck of the woods. What is it they say out west? "Look up your in Cougar country" Speaking of cougars, you said you have heard them at times up that way. Tell us about that if you would.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:00:18 AM by Smokebender »
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline finlander

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
3 oh 7 AM? When do you sleep?  I heard coyotes last fall, south of the cabin.  Havent seen cougar. Friend said she saw a 'paw' print in the Green Timbers area by the stream a few seasons back.   I walked back w/o her but could not find it.  That drive we took was interesting.  I missed the turn to the north towards Round Lake. Continued on the Old Vandy Extension.  Then went north and ended up north of Sturgeon Valley Road.  Wife never worries. Inner GPS she says I have.  I need to get one of those if it will show ALL the roads up there.  I had stopped at the headquarters when I saw a man pushing snow in a John Deere.  I asked why all the roads werent posted. It was voted down. They dont want EVERYONE out there disturbing the peace and quiet. If they feel they wont ever get lost, they will come.  So I dont go wandering much.  The road and bridge you mentioned I have never heard of.  I was trying to send you a pm last night, to ask how long you have been going up there, and where are you favorite areas.  I consider the PR area to be just east of the cabin.  Still doesnt stop me from wearing a hat with an elk on the front.

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:18:45 PM »
I was thinking you had posted that you heard a cougar up that way. Anyway, we know they are there. Inner GPS is good to have. State and county road signs have gone up. DNR points of interest signs too. None last very long. The guys from around there that rip the signs and are voting them down just want the flatlanders to stay home.

I say you should wander. Fill your gas tant first. Just in case. Stop in the DNR office for free map. Use your inner GPS and go for it.

My first trip to the PRCSF was about thirty years ago. I'm not sure on total number of trips to the area. Take a map of the forest, throw a dart at it and I've been there at one time or another. It's all good from my point of view. Once I was there for just over a week alone and without a vehicle. Those days are gone. Now It's a truck camper.

One memorable trip was down a long stretch of unmaintained river. Surfing over beaver dams is right smart fun indeed.

A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline finlander

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
I have the map that shows the northern lower counties.  I consider Green Timbers to be in Otsego County.  That BFRO report said Cheboygan County.  I emailed the investigator about that. Many locals consider Green Timbers to extend into Cheboygan County.  As I rode the bike path to Wolverine last October, I remember seeing corn fields across I-75.  After reading the report I thought of driving and finding a field and then park it and watch at dusk. But if theye are around the cabin, there is no need to look elsewhere.  Hope they will still come back no matter the season.  I am going to phone the neighbor up there.  See if he has any comment about the reports.  Dont know if he is a hunter or not, or if he even has an Internet connection.  It would have to be phone.  I'm anxious, wish April was here...

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 09:05:40 AM »
The general area we are talking about here is large. Many places I believe people rarely if ever step foot.
A Hopi elder speaks.

sir-individual