Author Topic: gps fpr truck  (Read 10539 times)

Offline finlander

• Purple Maple Syruple
gps fpr truck
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:53:44 AM »
Anyone own one of these gadgets?  Never thought I'd want/need one but some of the roads in the playground are conviently NOT marked.    ((::))

Offline Smokebender

• Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
Re: gps fpr truck
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »
I do not have a GPS. Maybe you need one for other areas too? If not print out the map in links at the MBG site.
That map and a compass should be all you need. I like to have a full gas tank as well when I wander there.
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline finlander

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:16:54 PM »
My wife brought home a Magellan 1400 today from Meijers.  They have an older 2006 Magellan 3000T in their 'file cabinet' too. It HAS Alaska on it, but it lacks in a few areas from todays devices.  I have the 1400 plugged in and I was playing with it. Touch screen. Pretty straight forward.  I zoomed out and moved it to Vandy and followed the road east to the cabin.  Seemed to lock on my address here in town quickly.  Does not have a card port to add things later.  I think this is an 2008 model.   May keep it. Will try it to the cabin in a week.  Snow forcast for the north country, good for tracks though. Will let ya know. 

Offline nelson

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 09:43:48 AM »
I have two gps, the one for the vehicle is a standard touch screen, with memory, it works nicely. I also have a magellan platinum model I use in the boat as well as when hikeing around, I usaully just mark a way point like where I park. then if I have to I can turn it on and it will point me in the right direction. I have yet had to use it to find my way back, but the peace of mind knowing I have it is very reasuring, its very important that you practice with it, theres never a good time to be pulling out the manual and trying to read it by flash light, because now you need it. The other thing I like about the hand helds is they have a compass, its not magnetic, so like places in the u.p. that will totally screw with you wont matter, or holding next to something metal, like a gun barrell. The only problem I had with the vehicle mounted was when we were in downtown Chicago, The tall buildings were blocking the signal, I thought the thing was going to have a meltdown. The hand helds can eat batteries if you leave them on all the time, I always carry spares, and only turn it on when needed. I have my parking spot, my tree stand and my hunting partners stand marked, just in case....nelson

Offline finlander

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:26:09 PM »
My first buy was a handheld Magellan I got @ Meijer for $90.  Uses 2 AA's.  Leaves a crumb trail. Very simple, I use it now for mileage when we go bike riding.  Bought 2 Lowrances for da boat last year. Special packaging deal from Cabelas.  They do alot, and I am still learning.  They show roads, but the antenna is external, up on the bow.  So I cant use them in the truck.   This 1400 is cool.  We will give it a good test next weekend. 

Offline Smokebender

• Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
My truck would like a GPS. It doesn't really need one though cuz I'm usually along for the ride.   (BD)
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.