Author Topic: We're being watched  (Read 12965 times)

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
We're being watched
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:13:40 PM »

I have told people in the past that the Misfit City forum gets attention by the web crawlers.  We notice daily that many of the people that enter the forum, come from search engines and I can't explain this. I don't see that sort of attention from other forums when I search subjects.  I will again suggest that if you have an opinion and you care to have it read by others in this world, post it here.

Now for the reason for this post.  We were contacted today by an international organization concerning a post that Sassafras had shared with the readers.  The post described a situation in another country that seemed positive.  This organization suggested that it actually will cause problems for individuals living in the country that are members of the group and even could cause danger.  They asked us to please delete the post.  Being familiar with the plight of this group in certain countries and Sass and I both agreeing that we would not want to do any harm to these people, we agreed to delete the post and did so.  The post did not have any other posts except the original one.  It was actually a post where a person was reporting on behavior by the government towards this group.  It was not negative, but the international organization felt it could do harm.  Many of the members of this loving group have been killed in the past simply living their life, so we followed the wishes of the governing group. 

But I use this as an example of the reach of a simple forum such as the Misfit City  Forum.

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
Re: We're being watched
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
It doesn't surprise me that people are able to find posts from this forum in google or other search engines. I found something I've posted on another discussion board when I googled for information regarding the subject. That's all it takes.  Maybe privacy isn't private after all. It's something to think about.
As God as my witness, I cannot tell a lie.  ;)

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:12:41 AM »

Well, I would think that if this was a private forum, I would be concerned.  But it is a public forum and I like the idea that my thoughts are being disseminated around the world.  I would like it even more if there were more that wanted discourse concerning these ideas.  I am satisfied, though, with the amount of activity that this forum gets as far as readership. 

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline JippiJ

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:39:58 AM »
Its an interesting thing to think about that the comments and thoughts/musings on a board such as this could have such profound and far reaching effects as to effect the safety of individuals in different countries.

As for privacy, I have no wish to hide behind my own thoughts. I love the idea of sharing them in open forum for anyone and everyone to pick apart or share in. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep myself from speaking out but then isn't that my right?
Still I would wish no harm to others, that goes without saying so hats off to you guys. :)

Jip
Be gratefull you have the chance to speak, don't waste it!

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:39:09 PM »
Its an interesting thing to think about that the comments and thoughts/musings on a board such as this could have such profound and far reaching effects as to effect the safety of individuals in different countries.

As for privacy, I have no wish to hide behind my own thoughts. I love the idea of sharing them in open forum for anyone and everyone to pick apart or share in. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep myself from speaking out but then isn't that my right?
Still I would wish no harm to others, that goes without saying so hats off to you guys. :)

Jip

Since you are from the UK and Sass and I are from the USA, speaking out is a right we cherish.  Sadly, this is not true for a majority of the people of the world.  I listened to Senator Lindsey Graham from South Carolina speak today.  He is a conservative Republican and normally I don't agree with much of what this group represents.  But, today, he spoke in support of a nominee by President Barack Obama for the Supreme Court.  Generally, the Republican Senators have indicated they will not vote for her confirmation.  There will be enough votes for her confirmation, but I wander.  Senator Graham said that one of the reasons so many countries suffer today, is that they do not have a jurisprudence system that believes in the "rule of law" and are normally driven by politics.  I thought that was a very poignant thought. An example could be that the UAE and Saudi Arabia have just announced limiting the use of Blackberries. I believe that our Bill of Rights is one of the most important documents we could share with emerging nations.  So, anyway, speak out, Jip. You and I will use our constitutionally granted rights to speak our piece. 

~Groucho Marx

Offline JippiJ

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:41:42 AM »
It is a fair point the good Senator makes there indeed. Its lead me in a lsightly different direction of thought however.

It made me think am I product of my up-bringing or would I have always been this way out regardless of what regime I was held to ransom under?
Take for example Nazi Germany during WW2. They developed an expression known as "Speak through a flower". This reffered to any comment you made about Hitler or his ideals/regime. Were you to comment at all on it you should always make sure it was a positive comment less you face the wrath of the SS. And with Hitler youth etc., his eyes and ears were everywhere. So under this system would I have learned to keep my opinions to myself or would I have suffered for the right to say what roles through my mind?

I can only think of one example where I have truly been the victim of my own insistence. When I was younger I joined Her Majesty's Royal Air Force and worked for some years as a Technician. When I first joined I could have been described a slightly "rough diamond" who was not the easiest fit with an authoritarian system. It took me quite some time to get used to taking orders without question.
Whilst in this early stage I was asked during one exercise to stand outside of the room while one of the instructors demonstrated the correct way to dissasemble a piece of equipment. The reasons for him asking me to stand outside were unclear but I can only assume it was becuase I was pretty good at this particular task so he was hoping to catch me out, but it is not really relevant.
Whilst stood outside, a higher ranking instructor happened to walk passed. He stopped just infront of me, turned and asked me why I was stood outside the room. (Probably assuming I had done something wrong.)
I replied by explaining that I was not clear on why I had been asked to stand outside but I was sure that in due course all would be revealed. My flippency and care-free attitude enraged the man who then set about telling me I was a disgrace to the Air Force and that if we were on the battle field he would shudder to think what it would be like to have me at his side. He continued to berrate me for the next 5 minutes or so in a similar fashion while I stood to attention staring passed him as we had been instructed previously.
When he eventually slowed and asked if I had anything to say for myself I replied with:
"I dread the day that I end up on the battlefield with members of the force, who whilst in command, make assumptions rather than assessing the true nature of the field. I worry for a nation that assumes the worst in every person and situation. I believe in myself enough to know I should be here training and I am confident that should the proverbial hit the pan, I will look to those that I both respect and trust to guide me through any given situation."
I spent two weeks on restrictions, was held back and spent the rest of my time in that particular training area as an outcast. I'm guessing the correct response he was looking for was something along the lines of "sorry" or "I will try harder" etc. But though I didn't come off better in any sence of the term I did walk away from it head held high. I gained respect from my CO who was informed of the incident and left that training area slightly stronger than when I entered it.

Now this is in no way comparible to some of the "punishments" others around the world will face for speaking up and nor do I think it is a fantastic example of me standing my ground on my beliefs, ethics and morals but it goes a little way to further show why "we", as a collective, must continue to speak out where we feel necessary. Especially knowing that others around the world can't.
To any others out there who cannot for any reason speak out on certain subjects I hope you can take some sollace in people like us on here, who though rambling and sometimes talking rubbish, do speak out on any issues we feel need spoken out on  ~D~

Jip
Be gratefull you have the chance to speak, don't waste it!

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:29:41 AM »

Jip,

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your post.  I remember telling a Vice President of Operations for a Fortune 500 Company that had just went through a vein popping tirade that he, "obviously confused me with someone that gives a shit."  What he was frantic about didn't concern me or my responsibility, but I probably could have responded differently and calmed the situation. 

Your final statement concerning those not able to speak out, I too hope they can take a little comfort in the fact that some of us will speak out for them.  In fact, Jip, I wonder if we aren't required, in some sort of idealistic thinking, to speak out for those that can't. 

I have put myself in odd situations by speaking out; some that ended well and some that didn't.  Once, in a sales meeting in a conference room far from my home, there was a knock on the door and one of the regional managers answered.  When he returned, the speaker, a Vice President of Marketing, asked who it was.  He said somebody wanting to turn an application in for employment.  I said that he was looking for the room next door, as a company was interviewing applicants there. 

The VP said, "you should have taken the application.  We are always looking for good employees."

The regional manager said, "Sorry, wrong color." 

Everybody laughed in the room and I am sure some laughed because they were uncomfortable.  Myself, I blurted out, before I could stop myself, "I don't think that is funny!"  The room went dead quiet and the meeting was adjourned in a matter of minutes.  I was surrounded by many of the participants that wanted to explain that they didn't know why they laughed and was embarrassed by it.  I, in turn, tried to explain that it wasn't my place to criticize their reactions.  Anyway, for the next couple of days, the topic of racism, prejudices, and discrimination involving people not like us was touted at each of our meals and a lot of conclusions were reached. The most important one that I heard from many was the commitment that they would never keep quiet about racial slurs in the future.

Speaking out can lead to good things and, as you know, Jip, it can cause pain.

I am committed to having my voice heard.  I take credit for a small bit of America standing up to the neo-con conservatives (another way of saying fascists) that had taken over our government and voting many of them out of office.  I do believe in the oneness of mankind and I do believe that the wealth of nations is distributed in unfair ways.  I seldom march to somebody else's drum.  In fact, I explain to those wondering what a 'misfit' is, that if you would like to be a misfit then when you hear the beat of a drum and start to feel like marching, DON'T.... 

Mick

Mick

~Groucho Marx