Author Topic: ingredient questions  (Read 6259 times)

Offline mayann16

• New to the City
ingredient questions
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »
If the following are listed on the label but do not appear to have any other harmful ingredients are they safe for no msg consumption.
whey
yeast
enzymes (especially in cheese)
sea salt  (and the sea salt itself as a seasoning)

We just found out that my 9 yr old son has this allergy as well as color dye sensitivity and it's very overwhelming. I appreciate any help or advise I can get. THanks!

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: ingredient questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:59:22 AM »
Your question is a good one and I wished there was a simple answer.  If you go to  http://saynotomsg.com/basics_list.php  you will find a list of ingredients that your son should avoid.  To tackle your list, though, first whey is a healthy milk byproduct.  It is when they process it to create a flavor enhancer that problems evolve. Such as, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Protease, which I can't even tell you what these are other than they fall in the category of excitotoxins and are used by the food industry to cover or mask flavors they don't want you to taste. 

Yeast is something we all can eat until they autoloyze it and create a flavor enhancer.  Same for enzymes.  The list I referred you to is a pretty good list of things that must be avoided but it is not complete.  The food industry is constantly changing how they list components on their labels simply to confuse the consumer.  The FDA allows them to list autolyzed yeast numerous ways but if it is a compound word you can bet they processed simple yeast into an excitotoxin. 

Part of the journey you have embarked on is to become knowledgeable of labels and how companies will find ways to avoid being open with the ingredients to use.

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah