Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
SayNOtoMSG.com :: To Your Health - Dedicated MSG Section / DATEM in bread
« Last post by Sylvia1787 on February 21, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »
As a person VERY sensitive to MSG and its derivatives, I wanted to know if anyone else has had a problem with this ingredient. I have not found too many others who talk about it. I have successfully avoided most forms of msg for many years, however; a few years ago I discovered I had a reaction to bread ingredients, and the reaction is the most dangerous reaction for me. Usually, whem I eat something containing msg, I have symptoms which alert me to a problem. With DATEM, I have found that I have no warning symptoms. By the time I know something is wrong, I can barely get the words out before I am passed out on the ground, usually hitting something hard and pointy on the way down. Most people I know who are also sensitive, have a far higher tolerance than I. My grandfather and father are sensitive, but they just get headaches, at worst migraines. My least severe reaction is a migraine, the most is a severe, sudden drop in blood sugar. The more recent labeling laws have been the bane of my existence! Was just wondering if anyone else has noticed a reaction to this ingredient.
You probably know of the potential health dangers associated with MSG. MSG is used in hot dogs as a flavoring and is labeled as an excitotoxin meaning that it stimulates the sensitive neurons to the point where they die.

Lisa,

You are correct!  MSG is dangerous to our health.  Excitotoxins, which are dangerous flavor enhancers, do over stimulate brain cells to the point of death.

Concerning hot dogs....  There are some hot dogs which contain a number of Excitotoxins, and there are hot dogs which contain so few that some MSG sensitive people can eat them.  I do eat some hot dog brands.  And I have reacted to some of these brands too.

I ALWAYS stay away from "hydrolyzed", "autolyzed", "caseinate", and "extracts".

I have been eating Bar-S brand hot dogs lately.  I only eat two or three at a time.  These hot dogs do have "flavorings" which is one of the ingredients listed in every list of Excitotoxins.  I can't say that everyone can eat foods with this ingredient.  I am saying that I can, and that others may be able to do the same.  It is impossible to eliminated every Excitotoxin, but people can avoid the ingredients which are certain to cause a reaction and keep the others at a minimum.

It is important to understand that the food industry isn't trustworthy.  There may come a time when Bar-S brand hot dogs add something to their "Flavorings" making their hot dogs too risky to eat.  Right now, though, I can eat them.

I hope this information helps you, Lisa, and others in understanding the finer nuances of Excitotoxins.

Keep up the good fight!!

Sassafras
You probably know of the potential health dangers associated with MSG. MSG is used in hot dogs as a flavoring and is labeled as an excitotoxin meaning that it stimulates the sensitive neurons to the point where they die.
So cool to find this site. Didn't know it even existed. Hello my fellow MSG haters. I have severe heart rythem problems when there is MSG in food I eat. My husband gets violent migraines. The guide will help so much when shopping.
SayNOtoMSG.com :: To Your Health - Dedicated MSG Section / Norbest Turkey
« Last post by Sassafras on December 08, 2014, 11:15:20 PM »
I got really sick after eating a slice of Norbest Turkey Breast.  I should have known better, but I couldn't have imagined the degree of the symptoms I had with so little turkey I ate.  It's as if I ate a full meal with all the "no-no" dressing and "no-no" gravy.  I lost a whole day of work and was still foggy brained the following day.  My symptoms included:  light sensitivity, nausea, vomiting, migraine headache, body aches and pains, and muscle weakness.

Here is my Facebook entry:

I made a big mistake and purchased a cut up turkey breast from Roadrunner Grocery Store in Quartzsite, AZ. The turkey is from Norbest which I didn't know at the time. There was no label on the package... big mistake!!! I called Roadrunner and found out more about the turkey. Norbest Tender-Timed Young Turkey http://www.norbest.com/product/whole-turkeys/tender-timed-young-turkey/ claims no MSG, but the little turkey I ate, it contains a shit-load of MSG-like ingredients. Excitotoxins are present, no doubt. The helpful man at the grocery store read that the turkey was injected with a 9.5% Natural Chicken Broth and Spices solution. The percentage is low compared to some name brand turkeys, but the solution is extremely high in Excitotoxins.

If you are MSG intolerant, DO NOT eat Norbest turkey!!!!!!

Also, the information about the solution content IS NOT on the Norbest website. They are bad people!!!!!!!

Source:  https://www.facebook.com/SayNOtoMSGandOtherEXCITOTOXINS

Today, I contacted Norbest via their on-site email service.  I couldn't copy my message, so I copied the whole page.  I attached the pic below.

Norbest claims no added MSG on their website, but the problem is they introduce a 9.5% solution to their turkeys which must contain enough Excitotoxins to impair cognitive thinking of a small horse let alone a human being.

I hope to get a response from Norbest soon, and I will share it here and on Facebook.

Keeping up the good fight,
Sass
MisFiT Lounge / What do you think about Anonymous?
« Last post by Alpine on November 05, 2014, 04:07:15 PM »
What do you think about Anonymous?

Their logo and the Guy Fawkes masks they wear are seen below.

Favorite Recipes / Slow Cooker Helpful Hints
« Last post by Sassafras on November 02, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
Make the Most of Your Slow Cooker

Food52
October 30, 2014

Inspired by conversations on the Food52 Hotline, we’re sharing tips and tricks that make navigating all of our kitchens easier and more fun.

Today: Your weeknights just got infinitely better. Stay tuned for our collection all about slow cooking on Provisions this Thursday!

Weeknights weren’t made for slow braises and roasts; they’re often too harried and hectic for anything other than what’s quick and easy. After a long day, you’re likely to turn to a simple pasta or a hearty salad — even a sandwich qualifies as dinner when you’re exhausted. But in the chilly days ahead, you may find yourself craving the comfort of a lazy slow cooked meal — the kind that’s reserved for weekends — in the middle of the week.

More: You don’t need a recipe to make an outstanding weeknight meal.

Enter the slow cooker — the saving grace of weeknight dinners. Throw all of your ingredients into a pot in the morning, and dinner will be waiting for you when you get home. You’ll soon wonder how your kitchen ever survived without this essential kitchen tool.

No matter what size or shape your slow cooker is, here are a few basic guidelines for using it:

*The slow cooker should be about 1/2 to 2/3 full of ingredients, otherwise the food won’t cook properly. Be mindful when halving a recipe or using a different size slow cooker than the recipe calls for — you don’t want to under- or overfill it.

* All ingredients need to be fully defrosted when added to the slow cooker. Using frozen ingredients, especially meat, can cause the food in the slow cooker to stay at an unsafe temperature for too long, which can lead to foodborne illness.

* Trim any fat on your meat before adding it to the slow cooker. This will prevent the final dish from tasting overly greasy. If you have time, brown your meat or sauté your vegetables before adding them to the slow cooker for added flavor.

* Fit the lid tightly on the slow cooker and try not to open it while it’s cooking — allowing heat to escape will only extend the cooking time.

* Layer carefully. Ingredients at the bottom of the slow cooker tend to cook faster. To prevent your meat from overcooking, it’s best to place vegetables at the bottom of the pot, below the meat.

There are a number of standard dishes that come to mind when we think of slow cooker fare — stews, soups, pulled pork, curries — but a slow cooker can churn out so much more. Use it to prepare a handful of pantry staples:

* Cooking beans in a slow cooker eliminates the need for an overnight soak.

* Over at Smitten Kitchen, Deb Perelman simplifies the process of making chicken stock by dumping all of her ingredients into the slow cooker, walking away, and letting it cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours.

* Cooking steel cut oats overnight will make you forget your early morning cold cereal routine.
More: Sweeten your morning oats with a healthy drizzle of maple syrup.

While there are countless slow cooker-tailored recipes out there, the possibilities are limitless for adapting other recipes for the slow cooker — particularly those that involve braising, slow-roasting, or finishing in the oven. Here are a few things to consider before adapting a recipe for a slow cooker:

* Don’t overfill your slow cooker. Be sure to take note of the size of the pot that your recipe asks for, and make a smaller batch if it’s too big for your slow cooker.

* Chop all of your ingredients evenly to ensure uniform cooking.

* Halve the amount of liquid asked for in the recipe, since less liquid evaporates from a slow cooker than from a pot. If the recipe doesn’t call for any liquid, add about a 1/2 cup of liquid or broth to your adapted recipe.

* Hold any fresh herbs, dairy, quick cooking vegetables, pasta, rice, or seafood on the side and add them to the pot in the last 30 minutes of cooking.

More: Learn more about the ins and outs of adapting a recipe to a slow cooker here.

Source:  For all the links and other helpful advice, go to https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-make-the-most-of-your-slow-cooker-100244661003.html

________

Enjoy!!!
MisFiT Lounge / Re: This Guy's My Hero
« Last post by Alpine on October 28, 2014, 08:12:11 PM »

Post Your Funny Logs And Enjoy this topic

Not you again!!

Let's review Rule #1.  Opine your thoughts after reviewing the translation.  Learn it, know it, love it.

For those who don't know, comment spamming is prevalent on message boards and this person is no different and our Forum is just another venue.  Rather than report this person for deletion, I thought I would have a little funny at their expense.

Yours truly,
The opining Alpine, at your service.

BTW,  The rider in the video definitely shows heroic characteristics.  Awesome skills!!!
Ramblings of a MisFiT / Re: Gravity
« Last post by Alpine on October 28, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »

It is unbelievable that will be easy. I don't know if you can't tell me.

Tell you what, Mai?  What exactly is easy?  Unbelievable is this conversation.

This thread is of great importance to the MisFiT of All MisFiTs.  The Boss, himself.  I thinks the "gravity" of the situation has been overlooked by a certain respondent without understanding.  I don't figure to get a response from a spamlicious comment-maker such as yourself, so I wouldn't expect one.  Although, making a list of fictitious rules regarding others with the same intentions will be fun for the true members of MisFiTCityForum.com.

Enjoy!!

Rule #1:
Opine your thoughts after reviewing the translation.

Yours truly,
Alpine
MisFiT Lounge / Re: This Guy's My Hero
« Last post by MaiYakRuTao on October 22, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »

Post Your Funny Logs And Enjoy this topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
sir-individual