Author Topic: Wood knocking experience  (Read 19369 times)

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Wood knocking experience
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:02:10 AM »
We had been in the woods for a couple of days, and as a normal event, had been knocking on a tree in the camp.  Three of us were sitting around the campfire, mid-day, and one of the individuals would go to a pine tree, and hit it firmly with a large post.  He would normally hit it three times very rhythmically.  Early afternoon, while sitting and digesting our lunch, when Mark had just hit the tree three times, there was a response of three knocks.  We all looked at each other, and kind of giggled.  A few minutes later, Mark did the same thing and, again, we got the same response.  Over the next hour, as we would knock on the tree, we would get sporadic responses that kind of slowly went around our camp.  We discussed the possibility of somebody hoaxing us and the more we talked about it, the more concerned I became.  I am a firm believer if you hear a noise outside of your tent, look outside.  I really dislike stories of "bumps in the night" sort and so we devised a plan.  We were camped on a dead-end road with only one way in.  It had rained recently, so we would be able to see if any car tracks were there.  Some of the knocks came from a swamp that was to the east of us.  It was pretty much impenetrable and I jokingly said that if anybody walked the 4 miles of swamps to hoax us, then they had earned the right to expect us to believe. 

Anyway, we had walkie talkies and I took one with me and left the camp in a car.  As I left the two-track road, I got out and inspected the sand road for auto tracks and there weren't any.  I reported this to the camp.  Then I went down the road, next to a beaver pond, where there was another campsite and checked there to see if somebody had been there.  They hadn't.  Then I knocked on trees and the camp reported they could barely hear them and they sounded nothing like the ones we had been listening to for the past hour or more.

I came back to camp and we again knocked on the trees, but we didn't get any response.  After about a half hour of intermittent knocking, I went into the woods and proceeded to hit on trees until the camp agreed that the volume was about right for a comparison.  Ironically, it was much closer than I would have expected.  In fact, in a couple of instances, I was able to see the camp and they were able to see me.  The distance ranged between 150 to 300 feet, depending on the thickness of the vegetation.  The furthest distance was across a power line that was barren of vegetation.  We looked for sign of any of the trees being hit and didn't find any.  Of course, there are a lot of trees in a forest and we didn't check them all.  I think that we all were just a little confused about what we just experienced and after reflection, we became convinced that we had a serious wood knocking encounter.

Comments or questions?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:25:39 PM by Smokebender »
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Smokebender

• Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
Re: Wood knocking experience
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 12:02:02 PM »
I did enjoy reading what you posted Mick. There is something to be learned there too in regard to sound and distance.
Knocking in the right place and at just the right time is something I have yet to try. I will.

Call blasting is one I'm just not so sure about yet. Have you ever tried it or been in a group that tried it?
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:30:22 PM »
I did enjoy reading what you posted Mick. There is something to be learned there too in regard to sound and distance.
Knocking in the right place and at just the right time is something I have yet to try. I will.

Call blasting is one I'm just not so sure about yet. Have you ever tried it or been in a group that tried it?

No, I haven't tried it.  The first question I would have to ask is what sounds are you going to blast?  Is there a recording that anybody has that they know it is a call that will elicit a response?  Another question I asked years ago at bigfootforum.com was if we have a recording of sounds heard that we feel have been made by a bigfoot, how do we know that they are the type of call that will elicit a response.  Suppose it is a male challenging all other males?  Or a bigfoot that is just pissed off?  On that board it created some lively debate with all the armchair investigators ready and willing to share their opinions. 

I do have a story about screams we heard that we weren't able to record.  You know, it is so much fun when you are out in the woods and these provocative things happen.  I am not particularly interested in call blasting.  Same as baiting.  I haven't seen where it ever worked.  Paul has been giving you guys some good advice.  Get in the woods, be yourself.  Don't try to be elusive.  Being noisy is OK, because you aren't going to sneak up on one, anyway.  If you see one, while you are moving in the woods, they were willing for you to see them.  Not much different than a deer.  If you see a deer, normally, they have seen you first. 

Wood knocking has been fun for us and it has been successful.  I'm telling you, though, when we started to get responses, my first thoughts were, I wonder who is hoaxing us?  And also, what else could be making these wood knocks.  We even changed the rhythm and the responses followed our own change of rhythms.  Nice of them, hey?

But i will finish here, with this advice.  Try it all.  What's it going to hurt?  The most important thing is you are out in their habitat and are paying attention and looking for anomalies.  That is when you will notice sign and you should see sign of them before you see them. (By the way, sign isn't just footprints)

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »
I anticipated your response do to the fact that I have the same questions. If I call out it will be my voice.
Other than that I have little interest in call blasting or any other unproven approach for that matter.

As far as seeing and not being seen. It can and has been done. I have taken deer at twenty yards that never even
heard my gunfire and definitely had not seen me. I've been surrounded by bull elk unseen. I could go on and on.

That said, and I understand your reply was not intended just for me, my plan has never been to sneak up on one.
Call it a "come to papa" approach, that's my plan, and I would use bait. I don't mean bf bait, just bait.
The more animal activity in the given area the better. It's the correct area itself that I'm hunting.

I started hunting game some forty years ago and I understand that scent and sound are key.
I like to use the same approach hunting be it with camera or firearm.

When it comes to Bigfoot I'm not out to prove or document anything.    I just want to see one.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:52:09 PM by Smokebender »
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
Interestingly, I, too, have hunted since my 8th year when I shot my first pheasant with a 16 ga Ithaca and got a bloody nose for my efforts. I loved it.  My dad brought me into the woods that year and I carried a Remington 22 pump with scope.  That is a lot more years than I care to admit to. I have killed more deer by jump shooting than by sitting, simply because I liked the stalk.  I have had two does step over me while I layed in a furrow in heavy pines and I had a button buck step over my legs when I was about 10.  I have jumped a buck seemingly inches away from me in thick brush and a heavy snow storm.  If you are in the woods long enough, there are all sorts of stories like that a person can share. 

But what I was talking about, is when I tracked deer in snow or not, I always watched to the sides and forward and many times spotted the deer watching me.  Have you ever seen deer ahead of you and slowly lay down so you disappear and have them come looking for you.  It is a great way to find what sex are in the group.  I believe that seldom, when tracking, did I walk up on a deer that didn't know that I was there.  It is why, while walking in a spread out formation with others and watching the guy next to me pass a deer laying still in a downed tree top less than 10 feet from him, that I became a little froggy with him.  You know I enjoyed yelling, "Hey Marv, tell that deer to the left of you hello for me."  And when I had to direct him towards the doe and then she jumped up and darn near ran him over, you have to know I was screaming with laughter.  I love it out there as it seems you do as well. 

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:12:45 PM by misfitguy »

~Groucho Marx

Offline nelson

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 02:26:35 PM »
I tried knocking and whooping for the first time last year, had a return knock that I heard but my buddy didnt. Had the strangest return calls start right after our little poodle barked at something rustleing in the leaves. I cant wait to try some more this year...nelson

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:14:27 PM »
We should be able to do a lot of knocking this spring when we camp.  I would suggest that it is part of the camp routine to knock every 10 or 15 minutes while we are hanging around the camp.  I would be really surprised if we don't get an answer. 

~Groucho Marx

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »
A real Blair Witch encounter! Wow! You either had a wood knocking experience or encountered a very annoyed woodpecker!
As God as my witness, I cannot tell a lie.  ;)

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 04:32:45 PM »
Not a woodpecker.  Though they can be loud, they are not mimics.

~Groucho Marx

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 03:32:31 AM »
A real Blair Witch encounter! Wow! You either had a wood knocking experience or encountered a very annoyed woodpecker!
I like woodpeckers, on a stick.
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 05:35:45 AM »
OK, I found it.  I went to ##### website and found it noting it was east of town.  It is getting closer to home all the time.  I was using the map and was able to find it.  The map was pretty detailed and it gives all the current gas prices.

Mick
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:12:16 AM by Smokebender »

~Groucho Marx

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »
There are two links on the MBG site. A map link and one on the Lake. The map of the "Playground" is detailed with points of interest and is interactive. This is the map you may wish to print for later use. I'll check out your map link too.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:15:47 AM by Smokebender »
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 04:38:02 AM »
I've been thinking it over and have done some more looking into call blasting. I have changed my mind.
Right you are Mick when you say "try it all"   If fact lets start a thread on it.
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline finlander

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 06:32:22 AM »
Might this wood knocking event come from the bf themselves, a sound they are producing?  Reason I ask is that in January, there was 18" of snow on the ground.  To find two dry sticks to beat together......unless they carry them with them.  I havent found anyone witnessessing this wood knocking, in my web searches.  Has anyone read of witnesses?

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »
Might this wood knocking event come from the bf themselves, a sound they are producing?  Reason I ask is that in January, there was 18" of snow on the ground.  To find two dry sticks to beat together......unless they carry them with them.  I havent found anyone witnessessing this wood knocking, in my web searches.  Has anyone read of witnesses?

Actually, the wood knocking I experienced was the same as a large piece of wood hitting a tree.  It is how we replicated it.  We used a large piece of wood and hit it hard against a tree and the sounds we heard in response were quite similar. When we went looking for signs of where the wood knocking came from, we looked for marks on trees.  So picture yourself with a large piece of wood, larger than any bat you may have ever held, (bats give a different more hollow sound) and continue to picture yourself leaning back and swinging for the fence three or four times in a row.  That is how we wood knocked and it was that technique that got us responses.

Mick

~Groucho Marx