Author Topic: Are you open minded?  (Read 10609 times)

Offline Smokebender

• Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
Are you open minded?
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:48:49 PM »
So do you think you're open minded?

This should be a must view for everyone. Reply after viewing if you have a mind to.
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline EdisonBoy

• Purple Maple Syruple
Re: Are you open minded?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 04:38:34 AM »
So do you think you're open minded?

This should be a must view for everyone. Reply after viewing if you have a mind to.

I like that video.  I'm a regular listener to the "Skeptic's Guide to the Universe" podcast.
http://www.theskepticsguide.org/

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »
Another interesting site. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out in depth later.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 06:08:14 PM »
I found it very interesting.  If one searches for fallible logic or strawman theory, one will find a lot of information on illogical arguments.  It is a topic I like.  I noticed that the video said that if a person doesn't accept as true a new science that doesn't make that person close minded.  Science, by definition of the Scientific Method, should be explainable and the results should be able to be repeated by others.  Any new science that simply explains itself with testimony, without scientific proof, could be everything it claims but it represents itself as mere snake oil.  Thank you for the video, Smoke.

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »
I'm gald you enjoyed it Mick and once again I agree with what you have said here.
Except I would word it this way. Any "new science" without proof is not science at all.

I recently became aware of a new science and was very pleased to find and read the documented proof in the true sense of the term.
For me the facts turned what was a working snake oil into scientific fact.

I say working snake oil because myself and others had used this new product with profound results before ever reading the documented scientific proof behind it. As it turned out the proof was open, extensive and verifiable.

The fact that this product worked very well would normally be all I require. This time I wanted to learn more.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:34:25 PM by Smokebender »
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »
Smoke,

I have a great book called, "They laughed when I sat down".  It is about advertising dating back to the 1800's and it has a chapter called, Shake Well Before Using.  It covers what they called Patent Medicine.  Medicine that wasn't covered by the need for a prescription.  You can find medicine in that chapter that cured everything including death, I think.  The ads were successful and many people spent much money buying this stuff to make themselves feel better.  In fact, next time you are in Wal-Mart, Meijers, Walgreen's, etc., look at the size of the aisle that has vitamins and other items that promise all sorts of healing properties, if you would just buy them and take them regimentally.  Many of these items will give some sort of relief or high as aspirin or ibuprofen will.  The real problems, I believe that we have, is a very bad diet and seldom do we need a supplement if we simply quit eating all the things that are causing us distress.

That is my take on the matter.  I would still like to debate any product you have found, item by item, if you may and claim by claim.  You can include any testimonials that you have accumulated as well.  It could be fun and who know, I could become a convert.

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 12:32:18 AM »
When I started this thread I didn't have anyone or anything specific in mind.

In reply to you Mick I would agree that almost all, if not all of us have very bad diets.
While we should all agree that it's a good idea to try to quit eating all the things that cause us distress I don't believe it's even possible unless one were to produce all their own food. Even with that it is still highly unlikely that anyone could eat everything the body needs in a given day and day after day. I feel supplements are needed.

This thread has become mixed. My July 5th reply in this thread was just that and nothing more was behind it.
I'm more than willing to talk about a product and or the product I refered to above after more study.
As for testimonials, I'm not real big on them. What little I have already offered is all that I have to share.

In regard to your book Mick I'm not sure what to say. I guess most of us have known about all the crap on the market for many many years. Nothing new there for me. Not to say there is no new crap, just that I don't look at it.

Now that I think of it I did have something in mind when I started this thread.  BIGFOOT 

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:57:58 AM by Smokebender »
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline Smokebender

• Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »
Some time back I heard a guy on TV say something very close to this:

"I am open minded, just not so open minded that my brains fall out"

I like that line so I guess that's why it stuck in the head. I don't recall who said it.
A Hopi elder speaks.

sir-individual