Author Topic: Health Care Bill  (Read 9688 times)

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Health Care Bill
« on: March 23, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »
United States Senator Debbie Stabenow - Michigan

Dear Mick,

President Obama has just signed into law historic health insurance reform legislation called the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. The Senate will now take up a package of fixes to make the bill even better.

I want to highlight some of the changes that middle-class families and small businesses will see over the next year:

Starting Right Now...

o   Small businesses will get a tax cut to help them pay for health insurance for their employees. Companies will get a credit up to 35 percent of the money they spend on premiums. Those credits will increase over time, eventually reaching 50 percent when the Insurance Exchanges go into effect. The full credit is available to small firms with 10 or fewer employees, and firms with up to 25 employees will qualify for a partial credit.

o   The federal government will begin investing in community health centers to provide care to the people who need it most. In the next five years, $11 billion will be spent expanding access to health centers to 25 million more people in 10,000 communities.

o   Any senior who is affected by the so-called "doughnut hole" will qualify for a $250 rebate to help them pay for their prescription medicines.

In 3 Months...

o   People with pre-existing conditions will be able to get help with a special fund set up to cover the gap until the Insurance Exchanges are up and running.

o   Retiree health plans qualify for a new federal reinsurance program for health plans covering early retirees (age 55-64) to bring down costs for businesses and lower premiums.

In 6 Months...

o   All health plans will be prohibited from denying coverage or care to children because of "pre-existing conditions." This protection will apply to everyone when the Insurance Exchanges are up and running.

o   All health plans will be required to allow young adults to stay on their parents' insurance until age 26.

o   All new health plans will be required to provide free preventive care with no co-pays or deductibles.

o   All health plans will be prohibited from cancelling coverage when a patient reaches a lifetime limit on coverage.

o   All health plans will be prohibited from cancelling coverage if a patient gets sick or if they file too many claims.

o   All new health plans will be required to allow consumers to appeal insurance company denials of coverage and get an independent review of their case.

o   All new health plans will be required to let you pick your own primary care doctor. Women will also be allowed to visit their ob-gyn without getting permission from their insurance company first, and all patients will be guaranteed access to emergency care.

On January 1, 2011...

o   Seniors in Medicare can make an appointment for a free annual wellness checkup with their doctor. There will be no co-pays or deductibles for this visit.

o   All insurance plans will be required to spend at least 80-85 percent of their revenues on medical care. If they spend too much on wasteful overhead, like executive salaries and advertising, they will be required to give their customers a rebate.

The package of fixes the Senate is working on now will make this good bill even better. This "reconciliation package" will be debated over the next few days. As we continue working on this issue, I remain committed to helping middle-class families, small businesses, and seniors afford the health care coverage they need. For updated information about this new legislation, you can visit my website at http://stabenow.senate.gov/healthcare.

As always, please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you or your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: Health Care Bill
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »
Recon mission: Let the debate... begin
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:01 PM by Domenico Montanaro

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/03/23/2238815.aspx

From NBC’s Ken Strickland

The Senate has begun the reconciliation process on the health-care "fixes" bill. The 20-hour clock begins now.

There are a few certainties about this process, but most of it -- when votes happen, when it ends, etc., -- are unknown and will play out in its own way.

We do expect some votes today. However, most of the votes -- dozens of votes -- will happen at the end of the debate in what is commonly referred to as the "vote-o-rama," back-to-back votes with a couple of minutes of debate in between.

Here is your talking points memo, and users' guide:

-- A reconciliation (recon) bill cannot be filibustered. It takes only 51 votes for passage. The only 60-vote threshold in the entire process is to override the parliamentarian. (More on that below.)

-- The goal for Democrats
is to pass the bill without any changes -- nothing taken out, nothing added. If there is a single change -- even a minor one -- it goes back to the House for another vote. Democrats will need to defeat every single amendment and have the Senate parliamentarian rule in their favor every time. History suggests it's a tall order.

-- Recon rules require 20 hours of debate, equally divided (10 for Democrats, 10 for Republicans). Time can be yielded back, making it shorter. The 20 hours can be spread out over a few days, and likely will. But we expect some very late nights too.

-- An unlimited number of amendments can be offered, and Republicans say they plan to offer plenty. Votes on some of those amendments may happen within that 20 hours. But most will happen after the debate in the "vote-o-rama". Amendments pass with a simple 51-vote majority. Democrats, with 59 in their caucus, can afford to lose as many as nine people on each amendment and bring in Biden to break a tie if needed.

At some point after dozens of votes, Democrats may ask the parliamentarian to rule that Republicans are being "dilatory" or stalling with endless amendments. A favorable ruling could end the amendment process and move to the final vote.

-- Under the rules of recon, every section of the bill must have a budgetary impact. Republicans can offer 19 different objections ("points of order") to make sure every provision of the bill meets that test. The Senate parliamentarian decides what stays in or is cut out. Points of order can remove specific sections of the bill, or essentially kill it. If the parliamentarian agrees with Republicans and strips something out, Democrats will need 60 votes to overrule and keep it in. Obviously, Democrats only have 59, while Republicans have vowed to hold their group together.

~Groucho Marx

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
  • Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »

John McCain, though, sketched out the scariest scenario of all: a lack of GOP cooperation going forward. "There will be no cooperation for the rest of the year," he threatened. "They have poisoned the well in what they've done and how they've done it." Oh shit, what if the GOP starts a campaign of mindless obstructionism, stalling Congress and making it next to impossible to pass legislation?

http://www.alternet.org/story/146137/the_10_most_outrageous_right-wing_freakouts_over_the_health_care_bill?page=2
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:41:32 PM »
The New York Times / By Bob Herber / March 23, 2010

Health Care Protests in Congress Exposed Republicans as the Party of Hate-Spewing Lowlifes
A party that promotes ignorance and provides a safe house for bigotry cannot serve the best interests of our country.

A group of lowlifes at a Tea Party rally in Columbus, Ohio, last week taunted and humiliated a man who was sitting on the ground with a sign that said he had Parkinson's disease. The disgusting behavior was captured on a widely circulated videotape. One of the Tea Party protesters leaned over the man and sneered: "If you're looking for a handout, you're in the wrong end of town."

Another threw money at the man, first one bill and then another, and said contemptuously, "I'll pay for this guy. Here you go. Start a pot."

http://www.alternet.org/story/146146/vile_health_care_protests_in_congress_exposed_republicans_as_the_party_of_hate-spewing_lowlifes

A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »

John McCain, though, sketched out the scariest scenario of all: a lack of GOP cooperation going forward. "There will be no cooperation for the rest of the year," he threatened. "They have poisoned the well in what they've done and how they've done it." Oh shit, what if the GOP starts a campaign of mindless obstructionism, stalling Congress and making it next to impossible to pass legislation?

http://www.alternet.org/story/146137/the_10_most_outrageous_right-wing_freakouts_over_the_health_care_bill?page=2

Gee, wouldn't that be too bad if the GOP decided to not cooperate and just lay down and do nothing.  What could we do.  Hey, I got an idea. How about we pass cogent legislation and don't even bother waking them up.  I think they need the rest.  In fact, why not simply vote them out and replace them with people that want to represent their states.  Now that is a good idea.

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:17 AM »

The latest GOP mantra, which is being touted by Senators Congresspersons and even Karl Rove is "Campaign on ‘repeal, replace and reform’.  Did you get that?  They believe if they campaign this fall on Repealing the Health Bill, Replace it with their own and Reforming the Health Care network, they will win back all their seats plus enough to increase their numbers in both Houses to 2/3 Republican so that they will have a veto proof majority.  Again I ask you, "Did you get that?"

Let me opine on this phrase.  First, concerning 'Repeal'.  Can't be done.  The odds of the GOP to win enough seats to give them a 2/3 majority to make their actions veto proof is just some sort of fantasy world they have entered in and the rest of us weren't invited.  If they did win enough seats to be a simple majority, their efforts would be vetoed.  This is just a chant and has no meaning or value.

Second concerning replace.  I have noticed the many Democrats say this bill isn't perfect.  They say that there are some parts that they don't like and some feel there are some parts that are missing.  The GOP, to a member, state that this bill is all wrong.  That there is nothing good about it.  What, then, would the GOP's bill include if they eliminated everything that the current Health Bill has.  They would obviously eliminate the rules against rescission and so that would seem to mean that the GOP supports the insurance companies when they cancel somebody or find ways not to pay their medical bills. They obviously would not include any rules concerning pre-existing conditions.  So anybody with a pre-existing condition, or a woman or somebody that didn't mention they had acne when they were a teenager won't be able to get insurance or are susceptible to canceling.  I guess the doughnut hole in the Medicare Prescription Plan is OK.  Well, yeah, they created it originally, so they surely wouldn't want the insurance companies responsible for the $5000 or so doughnut hole.  They wouldn't include anything concerning letting a young adult stay on their parents insurance.  No tax cuts for small businesses and no added community health centers.

So to summarize, the Party of No would write a bill that would not include:
  • Rules against rescission
  • Rules closing the Doughnut Hole in Medicare
  • Tax cuts for small business
  • Rules against denying coverage for pre-exisiting conditions
  • Young adults will not be allowed to stay on their parents insurance plan
  • Adding community health centers
  • And everything else that is included in this bill

If they say there is nothing good about this bill, then the premise I am using here is true.  If their bill they would replace this one with has any of the above elements, then that would mean they are simply lying now and we have to ask why they wouldn't get involved with the creation of this health bill and why they won't support it and then try to make it better.  Just before the House of Representatives voted on the Senate bill, the Senate came up with a GOP option.  Oh that was timely.  It would include an additional 3 million individuals, not 32 million as this bill does, but only 3 million people that are uninsured would be added to those that have insurance.  When asked about the difference, Senator Colburn said it was a start.

Lastly, concerning Reform.  Give me a break.  What has the GOP ever reformed accept for social programs.  reagans idea of reformation was to create the homeless person.  The first bush's idea of reformation was to reform the tax codes and create trickle down economics.  The second bush's idea of reformation was to create a lighter and faster army and then look around for somebody to attack. 

REPEAL, REPLACE and REFORM....  *:)---x* 8O ((::)) O=:( [(:TEHE)] [censored]

~Groucho Marx

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:21 AM »
Mick, When you wrote

"Lastly, concerning Reform.  Give me a break.  What has the GOP ever reformed accept for social programs.  reagans idea of reformation was to create the homeless person.  The first bush's idea of reformation was to reform the tax codes and create trickle down economics.  The second bush's idea of reformation was to create a lighter and faster army and then look around for somebody to attack" 

I was thinking how true. Reagan & Bush both did what they set out to do. Will we ever clean up that mess? I hope so.
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:30:44 PM »
Mick, When you wrote

"Lastly, concerning Reform.  Give me a break.  What has the GOP ever reformed accept for social programs.  reagans idea of reformation was to create the homeless person.  The first bush's idea of reformation was to reform the tax codes and create trickle down economics.  The second bush's idea of reformation was to create a lighter and faster army and then look around for somebody to attack" 

I was thinking how true. Reagan & Bush both did what they set out to do. Will we ever clean up that mess? I hope so.

Actually, they didn't do as much as they would have liked to have done.  To transform a democratic society with social programs of fairness into place into a fascist society with unbelievable differences between the wealthy and the poor, takes time.  The last bush had the Senate and the House on his side for 6 years and he truly speeded up the process by tax cutsfor the wealthy, elimination of estate taxes, ignoring infrastructure needs (keep the masses struggling) and castrating all of our oversight departments.  Remember the words of Martin Luther King, "We shall overcome..."  We have to believe it.

By the way, don't think the fascists have left us.  House minority whip Congressman cantor said in a speech today he felt it was wrong for the Democrats to take these threats to their lives and their families lives seriously.  He accused them of using these threats for political expediency.  It seems sick to the normal thinker but to a fascist it would be a credible response.  Why are the GOP members trying to stop health reform?  Simply to break the back of the proletariat.  It makes me sick.  I am in the twilight of my years and I am continuing to speak, hoping some younger members of our society will take up this message. 

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 06:41:13 AM »

Last night, after watching, first the Senate and then the House of Representatives, pass the Reconciliation Bill and the fixes that got sent back to the House, I pondered where we were as a nation and as individuals.  I surprised myself in my ruminations because the word "empowerment" kept coming up in the forefront.  Empowerment to the people of the United States of America.  I liked the sound of it so much, it was what was running through my head as I fell asleep, replacing the sheep that normally harbors in my dreams jumping over fences.  It was a nice change.

This bill gives the American people the right to stand up and say to the insurance companies, "Hey, you can't do that anymore."  It gives them the right to stand up and say to the medical industry and pharmaceuticals that, "Hey, we have a voice now.  You had better be careful."  It allows the care givers, doctors, nurses, labs, etc. to say, "Hey, we don't have to use a lot of frivolous tests simply because they are there. 

The health care that has been denied to over 45 million people will now become a reality to 32 million of them.  It is a start, but most important is the fact that with the empowerment that this bill gives, that with the voice that is given to individuals, the medical industry, the insurance industry and the pharmaceutical industry is going to change.  Oh, I have heard all the threats and so have you.  They go like this, doctors will refuse to see patients that are involved with any sort of government sponsored insurance policy, and the insurance industry is going to raise our premiums and the pharmaceutical industry will continue to raise the prices of its drugs and there is nothing this bill can do about it.  With the least amount of scrutiny, one can see how in error each of these statements are, but most importantly is that with the empowerment of the people, the uniting behind the rights that this bill grants to individuals, we shall see a blossoming of cooperation between the people and the industries. It is simply good business.  It is similar to what a GM does with its negotiations with the union or fast food did with trans fats or the food industry is now doing with the use of MSG.  It will respond to the overwhelming numbers of empowered people that this bill created.

I am proud, as an American, that this bill was passed.  I will be happier as it gets modified with more empowerment tools, such as a public option or an audit on the prices charged for medication and treatment.  The idea that this affluent nation would have a large population that doesn't have access to health insurance and the health procedures that comes from having health insurance is unexplainable, but not as much as it was a few days ago.

We are empowered, today, People of America.  Use it to you and your families advantage.

Mick

~Groucho Marx