Author Topic: What are your thoughts on this?  (Read 8540 times)

Offline 333angel

• Purple Maple Syruple
What are your thoughts on this?
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:05:42 PM »
By FREDERIC J. FROMMER and MELANIE S. WELTE, Associated Press Writers Frederic J. Frommer And Melanie S. Welte, Associated Press Writers
DES MOINES, Iowa – An animal rights group publicized a video Tuesday showing unwanted chicks being tossed alive into a grinder at an Iowa plant and accused egg hatcheries of being "perhaps the cruelest industry" in the world.

The undercover video was shot by Chicago-based Mercy for Animals at a hatchery in Spencer, Iowa, over a two-week period in May and June. The video was first obtained Monday by The Associated Press.

"We have to ask ourselves if these were puppies and kittens being dropped into grinders, would we find that acceptable?" asked Nathan Runkle, the group's executive director, at a news conference in Des Moines.
"I don't think that most people would."

The group said that tossing male chicks, which have little value because they can't lay eggs or be raised quickly enough to be raised profitably for meat, into grinders is common industry practice. United Egg Producers, a trade group for U.S. egg farmers, confirmed that.

What are your thoughts on this subject/practice? Personally, I believe there must be another option. This may be the most "cost efficient," but I do not believe it is right.
Melody

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: What are your thoughts on this?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
I saw the video and it is gut wrenching.  I eat meat, though not beef, so I can't complain about the killing of animals, but the inhumane way of simply tossing them into a grinder made me give the eating of chicken second thoughts.  I continue to be amazed at the lack of values in people looking to increase their bottom line.
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

sir-individual