Author Topic: Are you living in "your" world? or everyone elses  (Read 8731 times)

Offline IsolatedWisdom

• Mellow Yellow
Are you living in "your" world? or everyone elses
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:10:16 AM »
For my entire life I have been a misfit.  For as far back as I can remember I have never really fit in with anyone.  I have had friends but we just grew apart on the fact that we were so different.  I see the world in a different way.  I look and see for more than just what I see.  I don't have the carbon copied dreams like, good career, marriage, family.  It's just not there and never has been.  I find all those things boring and mundane.  I seek more.  But it just seems everywhere I go thats all that people talk or care about.  With this difference i have been rejected and become isolated from people for a good part of my day.  I know there are people out there that see life as I do but they to are most likely misfits themselves.  In the recent past when I am in public with people at parties etc. I would try my best to blend in and seem indifferent but I'm sure they could sense it and I felt so phony and bad about myself.  I have just developed a belief that I am who I am and will not pretend for the sake of "temporarily" fitting in.  I was living in "there" world but now i'm living in my world.  Unfortunately I have been hit with ignorance, rejection, and humiliation.  Some may say that this doesn't bother them but they are lieing or have become dissensitized to the feeling.  I have slowly been developing confidence in my new courageous self and found a small decrease in disrespect towards me.  I hope to someday find one or a couple people like myself so I don't feel so alone in the world.  But until then I'll be playing the song "Fool on the hill" (beatles) in my head.  Great song to pick you up when you feel alone in the world.  Thanks for listening.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: Are you living in "your" world? or everyone elses
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 04:35:16 AM »
You wrote, "I hope to someday find one or a couple people like myself so I don't feel so alone in the world."

Well, you've found us.  Welcome.  It is OK to be a Misfit.  Say that..."It is OK to be a Misfit."  Again.... 

I recognized myself as a Misfit 30 years ago and this knowledge freed me.  I'm not bad, as I am sure you aren't as well.  I simply don't fit in.  I can for a while, but soon I stand out.  Sound familiar?  Good, because it is OK to be a Misfit.  I have spent these past 30 years telling the misfits I meet that it is OK for them to be themselves.  Here are a few things that I have found out about misfits.

-Somebody is always trying to tell them what they could be or should do.

-We don't march to the beat of somebody else's drum very good.

-Misfits are probably a tad bit smarter than most of the people around them.  Not bragging, just a fact.

-We learned about a lot of famous misfits in our history classes...people that weren't satisfied with the status quo and set out to find new lands or new ideas or new things. 

-Don't ask a misfit what is hot and what is not, because they simply don't know and most importantly, they don't care.

-A misfit isn't looking for attention.  They are looking for acceptance.  If you wear your hair green and have 2 lb spikes driven through your nose and wonder out loud why people stare, you are not a misfit.  You're a looney tune.

-In a crowd of people, within thirty minutes, the misfits will have found themselves and will be in a corner having a good time to the chagrin of the rest of the crowd that are standing around waiting for directions.

-And finally, it is OK to be a misfit.  Quit apologizing for it and quit explaining yourself to everybody.  First they don't really care and second they won't ever understand.  They will tell you that you can get over it.  They'll suggest a book on how to conform.  Eventually they'll avoid you because you bring up provocative thoughts.  Hell, they'll avoid you because you bring up thoughts.  They don't have to be provocative.  There are actually a lot of us out there. We come in all sizes and colors.  We are honest and good and sincere and caring people, but we simply don't fit in. 

IT IS OK TO BE A MISFIT

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline IsolatedWisdom

• Mellow Yellow
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:14:32 AM »
Thanks Misfitguy for your kind and spot on thoughts.  You made me feel understood and accepted.  A feeling I can't say I have ever felt before.  You gave me a great gift today.  You made me smile.

Thanks

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
  • Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:58:23 AM »
 [welcome] to the City IW. We are happy to have you join us here. Feel free to speak your mind.

Mick has, to use an old one, hit the nail on the head in his above post. That's just the way it is. Again  [welcome]
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:45:56 AM »

I would also like to make a suggestion, Isolated Wisdom.  First, legally change your name to Isolated Wisdom.  It has been bouncing around in my head since I first read it and if you don't, I just may.  Second, browse the topics...all of them.  We have a decent number of members with a lot of thoughts and views.  Anybody that sticks around is a Misfit by default and so the thoughts are genuinely interesting. And, third, please don't disappear.  Hang around and share with us.  Share some of your ideas and thoughts.  For instance, the song lyrics you shared with us were haunting.  I know the song and never was moved by it as I was when I read the poetry.

By the way, two lyrics that affected my life, and I pasted on my mirror for my 20's and 30's were lines from Me and Bobby McGee by Kris Kristoferson and from New Design by Kenny Rogers. 

First, Me and Bobby McGee, "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose..."  Taught me the value of everything is nothing and though you can't put a value on freedom, it is invaluable.

Second, New Design, "I'm not saying what it's meant to be.  All I'm saying is it don't look right to me.  I'm going to try to find, a new design..."  Taught me that being uncomfortable where I am at is OK because I obviously haven't found my niche and I need to keep looking for "my design".

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:01:15 AM »
Everything they said and more! Welcome to the city of misfits. As a misfit, I don't conform easily to the ways of the world as we know it. I rebel against much of what is known as "authority". If we fall into the ways of modern society we become just as they are, "societal robots", living by someone else's standards and not our own.

George Bernard Shaw once said; "The conventional man adapts himself to the world. The unconventional man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unconventional man."

It is what people call "the norm" that holds us prisoner to this steady stream of ignorance, inhibiting our potential for growth and movement. It isn't growth if the pursuit is monetary.

Hope you enjoy yourself here with us and don't be afraid to express who you are.  W==(:D)==
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:03:27 AM by Truthsayer »
As God as my witness, I cannot tell a lie.  ;)

Offline JippiJ

• Purple Maple Syruple
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
I figured I'd hurl my 10 peneth into the ring.

I think for a long time I probably felt a little bit the same as you although with one major difference.
I didn't really care if I fit in or not. I would take my turn when the talking hat was passed to me. Tell people a few facts or maybe something that had been rattling around in my head for a few days. If this wasn't the chosen topic of conversation for the group I was with I wouldn't appologise. I would just walk on and find the next crowd / party.

I was stunned that in such a short amount of time I had a little group of people of my own who would all gravitate towards each other at various events. We would share the talking time then low and behold people would then try to do the "smiley but not really saying anything but want to fit in" thing to us.

I think the key has always been and always will be for me, to be happy and confident with me.
I like the things I think about, I like the things I say and I like doing what I do. If I have to do that on my own sometimes so be it. I exist in everyone elses world but I live in mine.

Jip
Be gratefull you have the chance to speak, don't waste it!

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 12:18:18 PM »
Jip,

I have nothing to teach you.  In fact, I sit at your knee.  Your post is a great addition to this thread.  I explained what a misfit was and you put in simple terms how a misfit should live.  The most important thing is to like yourself and listen to your thoughts.  Thank you again for this post.

Mick

~Groucho Marx