Author Topic: French dip, Buffalo style  (Read 13413 times)

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
French dip, Buffalo style
« on: October 25, 2007, 10:57:42 AM »
This is a great recipe for a Buffalo roast, using a slow cooker and creating some wonderful Au Jus so you can dip the roast sandwiches into it and slurp and yum and roll your eyes.

French Dip

Serving Size: 8   
Preparation Time :6 hrs

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   3      pounds        chuck roast --     trimmed
   2      cups           water
   1/2   cup             soy sauce
   1      teaspoon      dried rosemary
   1      teaspoon      dried thyme
   1      teaspoon      garlic powder
   1                         bay leaf
   3 to 4 peppercorns
   8                         French rolls --      split

Place the roast in a slow cooker.  Add water, soy sauce, and seasonings.  Cover
and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until buffalo is tender.  Remove the meat from the broth; shred with forks and keep warm.  Strain broth; skim off fat.  Pour the broth into small cups for dipping.  Serve the buffalo on rolls.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES: per serving:  470 Kcal 28g fat (11g sat fat) 55% CFF
The total recipe has about 17 Tablespoons fat.  Measure the skimmed fat and adjust nutritional information.  (1 Tbsp = 13 gms)
3 lbs "chuck roast" is assumed to have about 7 1/2 oz total fat (212.6 gms)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:53:43 AM by Sassafras »
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
  • Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
Re: French dip, Buffalo style
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »
Now this one sounds so good to me. Do you deliver? Really, I need to try and make it here at home. Thanks
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »
Now this one sounds so good to me. Do you deliver? Really, I need to try and make it here at home. Thanks

And you can buy buffalo at the Sprik's farm around over by you somewhere.  I have bought from their son, an attorney, right at his office.  It located near the corner of 4 mile and Alpine, on 4 mile just west of Alpine on the North side of the road.

In fact, I just Googled and here is the URL for the Buffalo ranch, 

http://www.sprikfarms.com/

We quit beef a long time ago, and the only meats we eat are venison and buffalo and a little pork and fowl and fish but mostly fresh vegetables and fruits. 

~Groucho Marx

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Right you are Sir. In fact I know Dale. I don't know his son. You can buy it up your way somewhere too I guess?

BTW, it's also good on a stick.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:20:15 PM »
I'll bet it is good on a stick.

Yeah, the Olsen Grocery stores have their own buffalo ranch and they have Spartan stores in Petosky, Charlevois, Traverse City and Manistee.  They have a full selection of all cuts.  Actually, the Meijer's in Muskegon sells it ground in bulk out of their butcher case.  I am not sure if all Meijers have it, but Muskegon store in Fruitport twsp. does.

We can also buy ground buffalo frozen at the fish market next to Glenn's in St. Ignace.  We have two restaurants in St. Ignace that sell it in burger form and the Truck Stop sells buffalo steak.  Beodoin's in Naubinway on US 2 also has a full menu of buffalo and Audie's in Mackinaw City sells a buffalo burger.  There is a brother and sister, I forget their name, off of exit 321 that wholesales it and accepts walk-ins and their is a ranch in Rudyard we know of but haven't visited.  We buy a lot when we are near it.  Coming home from a motorcycle show in September on Highway 8 in Northern WI, we spotted a buffalo for sale sign and followed the signs down a country road and bought a couple hundred pounds from a local farmer.  We still have steaks, roasts and burger in the freezer.

I'm telling you, we like it. It is almost free of marbled fat, it has cholesterol, but the good stuff mostly and it just tastes good.  I will have to try it on a stick.  We have some tough Chuck Steaks from the Wisconsin store.  Should I bring them to the expedition so we can have buffalo on a stick?

~Groucho Marx

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »
Buffalo meat has been at the top of my list for a very long time. I really enjoy Elk too. Olsen stores I had forgotten about, but if I could get tutougka at Meijer's then I'd be in some tall cotton. I'll be lookin into that. Thanks.

My wife stopped buying beef years ago. If I eat one more chicken I may start to growing feathers myself.

By all means bring the B-Chuck. If we use the right fire wood, stick, and bend the smoke just right, fantastic !!
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
I could not find my stick so, I just enjoyed some Buffalo on a bun. Mighty fine.   (BD)b
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 05:48:56 PM »
Update: I'm happy to tell you Buffalo meat is back here at home. In fact I'm enjoying some now.  (;D)b

Update to the update: Buffalo on a bun twice this week. I'm outa control. I need to find my stick.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:12:39 AM by Smokebender »
A Hopi elder speaks.