MisFiT Discussions > MisFiT Lounge

We're being watched

(1/2) > >>

misfitguy:

I have told people in the past that the Misfit City forum gets attention by the web crawlers.  We notice daily that many of the people that enter the forum, come from search engines and I can't explain this. I don't see that sort of attention from other forums when I search subjects.  I will again suggest that if you have an opinion and you care to have it read by others in this world, post it here.

Now for the reason for this post.  We were contacted today by an international organization concerning a post that Sassafras had shared with the readers.  The post described a situation in another country that seemed positive.  This organization suggested that it actually will cause problems for individuals living in the country that are members of the group and even could cause danger.  They asked us to please delete the post.  Being familiar with the plight of this group in certain countries and Sass and I both agreeing that we would not want to do any harm to these people, we agreed to delete the post and did so.  The post did not have any other posts except the original one.  It was actually a post where a person was reporting on behavior by the government towards this group.  It was not negative, but the international organization felt it could do harm.  Many of the members of this loving group have been killed in the past simply living their life, so we followed the wishes of the governing group. 

But I use this as an example of the reach of a simple forum such as the Misfit City  Forum.

Mick

Truthsayer:
It doesn't surprise me that people are able to find posts from this forum in google or other search engines. I found something I've posted on another discussion board when I googled for information regarding the subject. That's all it takes.  Maybe privacy isn't private after all. It's something to think about.

misfitguy:

Well, I would think that if this was a private forum, I would be concerned.  But it is a public forum and I like the idea that my thoughts are being disseminated around the world.  I would like it even more if there were more that wanted discourse concerning these ideas.  I am satisfied, though, with the amount of activity that this forum gets as far as readership. 

Mick

JippiJ:
Its an interesting thing to think about that the comments and thoughts/musings on a board such as this could have such profound and far reaching effects as to effect the safety of individuals in different countries.

As for privacy, I have no wish to hide behind my own thoughts. I love the idea of sharing them in open forum for anyone and everyone to pick apart or share in. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep myself from speaking out but then isn't that my right?
Still I would wish no harm to others, that goes without saying so hats off to you guys. :)

Jip

misfitguy:

--- Quote from: JippiJ on August 03, 2010, 05:39:58 AM ---Its an interesting thing to think about that the comments and thoughts/musings on a board such as this could have such profound and far reaching effects as to effect the safety of individuals in different countries.

As for privacy, I have no wish to hide behind my own thoughts. I love the idea of sharing them in open forum for anyone and everyone to pick apart or share in. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep myself from speaking out but then isn't that my right?
Still I would wish no harm to others, that goes without saying so hats off to you guys. :)

Jip

--- End quote ---

Since you are from the UK and Sass and I are from the USA, speaking out is a right we cherish.  Sadly, this is not true for a majority of the people of the world.  I listened to Senator Lindsey Graham from South Carolina speak today.  He is a conservative Republican and normally I don't agree with much of what this group represents.  But, today, he spoke in support of a nominee by President Barack Obama for the Supreme Court.  Generally, the Republican Senators have indicated they will not vote for her confirmation.  There will be enough votes for her confirmation, but I wander.  Senator Graham said that one of the reasons so many countries suffer today, is that they do not have a jurisprudence system that believes in the "rule of law" and are normally driven by politics.  I thought that was a very poignant thought. An example could be that the UAE and Saudi Arabia have just announced limiting the use of Blackberries. I believe that our Bill of Rights is one of the most important documents we could share with emerging nations.  So, anyway, speak out, Jip. You and I will use our constitutionally granted rights to speak our piece. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version