Author Topic: Vengefulness or Divine intervention?  (Read 8538 times)

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
Vengefulness or Divine intervention?
« on: February 14, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »
I was having what I thought was a private conversation with someone who brought up the topic of God. Someone else was listening to this conversation and interrupted us with an explosion of; "I hate God because He hurts people!"
I asked why she would say that. She said; "Open your eyes!  Look at all the thousands of innocent people who die in natural disasters all over the world! They call these disasters "acts of God"! What did they do to deserve this? Why doesn't God strike down those people who spend their lives killing other people?" I didn't have an answer for her. I needed to think about this one. That happened five years ago. If I were to meet her again now, I do have an answer.

Are the natural disasters we experience the revenge of God? Are those who perish in these disasters the victims of said revenge? To speak for myself, I cannot accept this to be a fact. My eyes are open. I see and hear every day of the atrocities that go on in this world around me. I have noticed that whenever someone is on the street beating the crap out of an innocent passerby, a gang member or even a senior citizen, there is usually a swarm of people surrounding him cheering him on. No one is doing anything to stop it. Sometimes these beatings end up with someone dead.
I have noticed that when one country declares war upon another, the citizens of said country are only too eager to support it regardless of the massive genocide that will occur because of it. All in the name of victory.
These are only two examples of how mankind is willing to reduce himself to bloodshed, if only to prove a point, mainly to his insecure self.

But I have also noticed that whenever there is a natural disaster anywhere in the world, which claims the lives of hundreds to thousands of innocent people, the entire world unites, comes together in love to give all that they can give of themselves, be it their time, money, homes, sympathies, whatever, they give it freely and generously to aid the victims and their families. Donations pour in from all over the world and the response is immediate. It is the love of God shining through mankind and it is beautiful to see this side of ourselves. It is God's way of saying; "This is who you truly are".

Are those who perish in these disasters "victims" of God's revenge? I have to say not. They are the Saints, the lambs, the ones chosen to participate in a divine sacrifice as an effort to awaken the love in mankind and bring him to this realization. It is right that we cherish and remember them. If it were not for this divine intervention from God, mankind may never know or experience the power of love, as we would be too busy killing each other in cold blood.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:22:43 PM by Truthsayer »
As God as my witness, I cannot tell a lie.  ;)

Offline JippiJ

• Purple Maple Syruple
Re: Vengefulness or Divine intervention?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:27:57 AM »
Ahh I fear there is controversy in the air...

I was wondering does it not seem a little too perfect? The whole of religion I mean although this example lends itself well to my argument.

My biggest problem with Religion is that it has an answer for any given question no matter how weak that answer is.

The above example being a good one. I know that with a little more respect and love around there would be far less pain in the world but to say that God sacrifices these peoples in an effort to show the rest of us the error of our ways. That I struggle with.

First he creates us in his image. Then he gives us free will but spanks us when we miss behave.
Then he expects us to realise when he is trying to get a message across and when we don't he sacrifices millions around the world? If that is true the dude needs to check his messages.

If he created us, guides us and lvoes us for pittys sake come and show us without the challenge of faith then maybe people would sit up and listen. Not forgetting that some many attrocities are committed in "the Lords name".

I guess I will haev to have me a one on one with the man because he sure as hell hasn't convinced me of his ways.

I do see your point though truthsayer and really dont mean to detract from it. Going back to the thing of faith, I think it is a great thing and I'm glad you feel the love that brings. I guess if the world tried a little harder in general we would all get a long a lot better.
Be gratefull you have the chance to speak, don't waste it!

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: Vengefulness or Divine intervention?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:57:45 AM »
Candidly, I have avoided answering this post and probably shouldn't have.  I have found that a persons belief is more real than the truth can ever be.  In fact, when I hear a sentence that starts with "I believe..., I think..., or I feel...,"  I have found that any sense of a logical discussion has probably ended.  There is nothing a person will defend with more zeal than a belief, thought or feeling.  

Now having said that, let me say this....Oh, I can be so playful, can't I.  If God created us in His image and gave us free will, stop right there. That is the total that we need to know and anything else will begin to contradict what was first written. If he causes disasters and test and difficulties, then he just took our free will away from us.  We have been given a soul that we can nourish through prayer, recognition of God and/or good acts and this soul will aid us in our decisions that affect our daily life.  It will not stop a hurricane, but can help us cope with the decisions needed to cope with it or its aftermath.  

One of the great rules I use, that comes from Baha'u'llah, is "...If it is logical it is if God.  If it is illogical it is of man."  And this is the only yardstick I normally need to test somebodies belief, thought or feeling.

Mick
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:02:34 PM by misfitguy »
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah