Author Topic: Never Have and Never Will  (Read 26043 times)

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
  • Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
Re: Never Have and Never Will
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »
I refuse to pay for water. I never have payed for water and I never will. No matter what. Water should be free to all.

Moreover I refuse to be a part of any colossal centralized chemical-intensive, fossil-fuel-intensive conventional water and waste water system. So there. How do like that? Buy a bottle of water? Never have and never will. What's your 2 cents on this subject? Am I wrong to see it this way? Tell us why you disagree or if in fact you agree with me.

Smoke,

It is always good to have a cause, I guess. I don't know how I missed this thread, but I do have a comment.  Let start with a story.  I remember when I believed that buying water was ludicrous.  As far as selling it, being a marketer, I applauded whoever came up with the idea.  It was about 1995 and I was riding with around 8-10 other individuals.  We were in the Houghton Lake area and had stopped for gasoline. It was over 90 deg that day and it seemed as if ones life was sucked out of your body while riding down the road with the heat off the pavement and off the motor, combining to make the ride miserable.  One of the riders ladies, came out of the gas station drinking out of a bottle of water.  I laughed at her and asked her why she would spend money on water?  She handed me the bottle and said, "Go ahead, take a drink."  I did, and in fact, I finished the bottle.  I handed her the empty bottle, went into the store and bought two bottles of water, my first, and went back outside and gave one to Tammy and drank the other.

Not let me explain, I don't like pop.  I seldom drank it at that time.  I drank iced tea but it was difficult to find any without some sort of flavor, which I detested.  A lot of times, when riding, I drank coffee or juice.  Bottled water became my liquid of choice.  Today, in the business we work in, dehydration is something we have to be careful about and so we drink a lot of water.  Even though the cost of water has gone down drastically, we save our bottles and refill them when convenient.  I still shudder over having to pay for water, but it is one of the healthiest things we can drink.  Much healthier than drinking out of a water fountain, for instance, or directly from a stream.

Smoke, it is one of those changes that just takes us over, like cell phones and computers.  When we camp, we bring gallon jugs of water.  Sometimes we fill up empties we save, but most times, we simply buy gallon jugs of water.  I like coffee and it is hard to make it without water.

Mick
Mick, Many if not most people may agree with you. I am not one of them when it comes to selling water.  

World Water Day is on Monday, March 22nd, 2010 and is a crucial moment in the fight against the global water and sanitation crisis that effects thousands of people every single day. Live Earth's NGO partners are organizing many of the events taking place on World Water Day around the world. No matter where you are in the world you can bring awareness to World Water Day!

http://liveearth.org/en/liveearthblog/celebrate-world-water-day
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:47:03 AM by Smokebender »
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 07:39:56 AM »
Just one more example for now if I may?

Water Number: $4 a bottle. In the latest skirmish in the war on tap water, the sports arena that hosts the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team -- with the lovely name of the Quicken Loans Arena concession -- has removed its drinking water fountains. The only way for thirsty fans to get water now is to wait in line at the concessions counter for a free small cup or pay $4 for bottled water or try to drink water from the bathroom faucets.

http://www.alternet.org/story/145598/the_war_on_tap%3A_stadium_where_cleveland_cavaliers_play_has_removed_water_fountains

Pretty ugly, Smoke.  If corporate could charge us for oxygen while in their midst, they would do it.  You know that.  I can see patrons getting kicked out of this arena for sneaking in a bottle of water in their coat or purse.  In many of the arenas we set-up in, we see water machines that sell water for $2 to $2.50 a bottle.  I would never buy this.  We do continue to buy water by the case for around $4 a case, but we also reuse the bottles by keeping the empties and refilling them. 

Keep raising your voice.  Some of us will hear and just may change some of our actions.  I am a believer in committed individuals, even those that I don't agree with ( not you in this instance.  I think there is really a problem).  Go get them, Steve.

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47:08 PM »
Now this is what I'm getting at.

A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »
Now this is what I'm getting at.

Smoke,

This video is a real eye opener.  We do not use bottled water accept during travel or in shows.  We also have been saving bottles and filling them up during the shows.  I guess we simply need containers to replace the purchase of bottled water.  Thank you for the video. 

I decided to embed it so it is easier to view.

Mick

~Groucho Marx

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 01:33:52 AM »
I happy you enjoyed it Mick. I hope it's viewable for a long time.   (BD)b
A Hopi elder speaks.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 07:14:05 AM »

I just watched it again, and I think it should be watched about once a month to remind us that the fight for sanity continues.  I chuckle at myself because I have a marketing degree and have come to loathe the marketing approach to business. 

Mick

~Groucho Marx