5 garlic           cloves, minced
3 cups             poultry broth*
1 cup              dried small red lentils
1/2 cup           water
1 cup               light coconut milk
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon  salt

* I would use frozen turkey broth that I have on hand, otherwise, I use Kitchen Basics™ Chicken Broth. I don't get any of the migraines associated with MSG sensitivity so I consider it safe to use thus far.  How I freeze turkey broth is when you cook your next turkey, take the drippings, which there should be a lot of, and spoon it into ice cube trays - about 7 turkey broth cubes equals 1 cup.

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 12 minutes or until golden. Stir in ginger and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth, lentils, and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until lentils are tender.

A note for concerning the second part of preparation:
A handheld immersion blender makes quick work of pureeing this yellow-hued soup in the pot.

2. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Place half of lentil mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining lentil mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan. Stir in milk and remaining ingredients; cook over medium heat 2 minutes.

Yield:  4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)

CALORIES 282 (21% from fat); FAT 6.7g (sat 3.2g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.3g); IRON 3.9mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 65mg; CARBOHYDRATE 41.6g; SODIUM 463mg; PROTEIN 16.8g; FIBER 9.3g

Source:  http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1842307

Tell us how it turns out.  I haven't tried it... yet!!!  I got this recipe from a Twitterer by the name of squarie.
Enjoy!!

Sass

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version