Author Topic: Anyone dig music?  (Read 10508 times)

Offline User Name

• MisFiT for Life!!!
  • truly "misfit"
    • www.skool.us
Anyone dig music?
« on: April 15, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
If so, what's your flavor????  ;D  Whats your favorite bands/artists???

I've got a pretty well-rounded ear, although i have little tolerance for most of today's new stuff.  As i get older, i find appreciation in most things "old" regardless of the genre..  For example, i used to listen to "old top 40" when it was new, and could at least tolerate it.  Unlike today, its hopeless!  Rap is the same way, in the 80's i loved it... now, not so much... I guess i should include the fact that i'm somewhat of a fringe electronic musician and enjoy records that are considered "indie" or maybe even "outdated" even in my own circles, but in my ears its world culture and music history... of which, i seem to be of high interest in!.  I guess most people don't "get that" but no matter.

I like everything from 80s-90s, my favorite all time band right now is Skinny Puppy because they make synth music sound "rock n roll" in comparison to what most people have tried to do with it.  Also enjoy: The Cure, The Cult, Bauhaus, NIN, Concrete Blonde and Johnette Napolitano, Bjork, Tori Amos, Sinead O'Connor, Ministry, Marilyn Manson (on occasion), NIN, and pretty much anything that is in between, or sounds similar to. 

Listening to some early 90's electro right now  (BD)b or... "acid breaks"  {:D}

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
Re: Anyone dig music?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:28:20 AM »
Wow...

I never heard of any of those bands.  My favorite bands would read like AeroSmith, Steve Miller Band, CCR, Iron Butterfly, Pink Floyd, Hootie and the Blowfish, to name a few.  Oh, don't forget Santana and all his changes in the past 40 years.  Single artists would include early soul/blues like Ray Charles, Spider Wilson, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cook.  I love some of the great songwriters like James Taylor, Carole King, Mac Davis, Harry Nilson, Kris Kristoferson, James Stafford, Roger Miller, and Lennon and McCartney. 

More current artists would include, Rob Thomas, Green Day, Blake Lewis, Elliot Yamin, Taylor Hicks and, uh, there just isn't anymore I can think of.  Odd isn't it, that three of the names in this list come from American Idol?  And people wonder if they have influenced the music industry.

Some other voices I still love are Patti LaBelle, Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Lyle Lovett, Lou Rawls and Bill Withers.

I like music, I don't love music.  I seldom turn on the radio anymore and occasionally will play something on the computer, but not much.  My first wife used to walk into our house and the first thing she did was turn on the radio.  She couldn't stand the sound of silence.  I like the noises my mind makes.  I like thinking and the rhythm of logic.  How about you?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:31:32 AM by misfitguy »
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline User Name

• MisFiT for Life!!!
  • truly "misfit"
    • www.skool.us
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »
Those are some good names, i can dig some of them  (BD)b

You seem to be very "songwriter" oriented which is good.  I guess being a music constructor most of my influence comes from the sounds rather than typical "songs" because most of what i listen to is usually all instrumental, or voice treated as an instrument and lyrics become "secondary treasures" rather than the meat of the song.  I find that words tend to cloud up the abstract that i like about instrumentals.  Good songs no matter, but a good song with certain lyrics will sometimes spoil the "fun" for me i guess.

I dont listen to the radio either, haven't since about '96 and i couldn't tell you anyone "new" out i am so clueless and away from it.  I usually listen to my own stuff, records, or cds from the 90s and 80s that i missed out on the first go around.  Not into the American Idol thing tho  ^:|-- teehee

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:13:25 AM »
I love music of all genres. Much of my life revolves around music. My mother is a singer/songwriter. (not famous, except locally). I used to perform with her on stage at local variety shows when I was eight yrs old. I became interested in rock and roll and that is where my soul is. Music actually saved my life. I used to be a very angry person, taking my anger out on everyone who crossed my path. I realized it hard one day when I started taking my anger out on my children.
I turned to music as an outlet to release my anger. I made a promise to myself. Whenever I feel angry or frustrated with life and the people in it, I'll pop a cd in the stereo and release my anger through music and dance. My favorite anger management cd is Guns N' Roses "Appetite for Destruction". It worked wonders in my life. Music expresses every emotion known to mankind. It is excellent emotional therapy. I have actually gotten more in touch with my emotions and can control them and express them constructively.
So whenever you're feeling down, angry, depressed or just plain bored, pop a cd in the stereo and listen to your favorite song, or one which relates to your mood.
As God as my witness, I cannot tell a lie.  ;)

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
  • Don't need no stinkin permit. Just back off.
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 02:29:31 AM »
What bands have you seen in person over the years?
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline misfitguy

• Administrator
    • Misfits Central
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:45:29 AM »
What bands have you seen in person over the years?

I think my favorite concert was the Fifth Dimensions when I was in college.  I never sat until the third song was well under way and my brother started tugging at my arm.  I looked around (we were in the third row) and I was the only one still standing.  What a great and mesmerizing group.

Another of my favorites was an old Psychedelic Rock band called Iron Butterfly.  Many people remember their greatest creation Inna Godda davida.  They did the whole 17 minute version.  I see many bands in motorcycle shows, but most of the time I simply don't pay them any attention.

Mick
Go to www.misfitscentral.net  Why not?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

~Groucho Marx

"The world is one country and mankind is its citizens..."  Baha'u'llah

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »
Over the years I have seen nickelback, Three Days Grace, Tragically Hip and Def Leppard, but my favorite concert was the Rolling Stones. It was an outside concert and featured Alice Cooper as the opening act. AWESOME!!!!

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
I was lucky over the years to see a lot of top bands. I remember these.

Frank Zappa                [censored]

Yes                  *(YES)*

Pink Floyd                        (BD)b

Freddy King      ((:D))

C. S. N. Y.                              [peace]

Santana         =:D               

The Band                      (;D)b

Jesse Colin Young                         :)

Dire Straits                {:D}

Jethro Tull                              :-DDD

The guess Who            *//B* (*)

REO Speed wagon                             (*)MP(*)

Heart                       OOOOOOO

Genesis    =OOO=

Led Zeppelin - Twice in the same week - 4th row center - we got it all on super 8 film.        [CoolPhotos]

Phil Collins        :)db

Peter Gabriel           [[WF]]

That's all I can remember...........what can I say.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:24:07 PM by Smokebender »
A Hopi elder speaks.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganbigfootgroup/  Just click it now! Then get back here right away or I'm tellin Mom.

Offline Truthsayer

• Going Green
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »
Did you enjoy the Dire Straits concert? I would have loved to see them live. My favorite live video of them is of them recording the album "Alchemy" live, and the song "Sultan's of Swing". You can tell Mark Knophler smoked or popped something before that concert. His mind might seem out of it, but his soul knows exactly what it is doing! The only thing moving are his fingers! It's amazing to watch. You can see it on youtube. Best recorded performance I have ever watched.

Offline Smokebender

• Half Mile Marker
    • Michigan Bigfoot Group
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »
Yes I did enjoy them. If I had to pick the best of all I would say Led Zeppelin. They were all good.
A Hopi elder speaks.